Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 27, 2018   #16
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Cow pots. Never heard of it. Just Googled it and it looks awesome. The pot is the manure. Genius.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #17
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmieToms View Post
I transplant when they have two sets of true leaves so I can transplant them deeper and get a better root system. They’re already in the pellets right now, so too late to try that anyway. Perhaps I will try some like that next year.
I bury part of the stem when they go into the deep 4" pots and again when they get planted in the ground.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

Let me join in the chorus of hatred for peat pots. They just suck away moisture when the plant needed it, in my experience. Do not break down or mingle with the soil when stuck in the ground. Impervious to roots trying to get through, but will suck water out of the same roots, causing them to stick to the inside surface and break when you try to tear off the pot. Monstrous.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

With regards the delicate tomato, may I suggest keeping them in the pot for an extra week before transplanting?

I usually give my tomatoes 3 weeks in cell pack before potting up, and at 3 weeks those cells are full of roots and the transplants never show one sign of stress... it's all gratitude at that point. This year I decided to pot up at 2 weeks - the cells were not full of roots, some soil fell off in the process, and plants looked stressed for the first time ever I've seen on potting up. I submit that getting slightly potbound is a benefit when it comes to transplant. Even if you tear or spread the roots, they don't seem to mind it at all, compared to moving when their roots are less firm and abundant.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #20
gimmieToms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I bury part of the stem when they go into the deep 4" pots and again when they get planted in the ground.
Yep, that's exactly what I do.
gimmieToms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #21
gimmieToms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
With regards the delicate tomato, may I suggest keeping them in the pot for an extra week before transplanting?

I usually give my tomatoes 3 weeks in cell pack before potting up, and at 3 weeks those cells are full of roots and the transplants never show one sign of stress... it's all gratitude at that point. This year I decided to pot up at 2 weeks - the cells were not full of roots, some soil fell off in the process, and plants looked stressed for the first time ever I've seen on potting up. I submit that getting slightly potbound is a benefit when it comes to transplant. Even if you tear or spread the roots, they don't seem to mind it at all, compared to moving when their roots are less firm and abundant.
Great suggestion thank you, I'll do just that.
Makes perfect sense.
They are in pellets though right now, is that going to be a problem when I remove the mesh?
Old March 27, 2018   #22
gimmieToms
Tomatovillian™

I planted seeds yesterday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018 toms.jpg (125.9 KB, 71 views)
Old March 27, 2018   #23
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Personally, I don't like those much more than the peat pots. If you don't let the seedlings get too large you should be able to remove the mesh without problems, but if you get roots starting to grown against the mesh it might do the same thing as the peat pots. You might consider getting some small inexpensive cups and removing the mesh and stick each one in a cup. These are the ones I use, but they are less expensive at my local store than online, unless they have gone up quite a bit since last year. Don't think I have paid more than 2.00 for a 100.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...Count/12167406
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #24
gimmieToms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Personally, I don't like those much more than the peat pots. If you don't let the seedlings get too large you should be able to remove the mesh without problems, but if you get roots starting to grown against the mesh it might do the same thing as the peat pots. You might consider getting some small inexpensive cups and removing the mesh and stick each one in a cup. These are the ones I use, but they are less expensive at my local store than online, unless they have gone up quite a bit since last year. Don't think I have paid more than 2.00 for a 100.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...Count/12167406
Yes, I was thinking of this too. I'll wait until they sprout, because I love these little greenhouses. I have some little Dixie cups I could probably move them to.
Old March 27, 2018   #25
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I do like peat pots but don't use them. I love just planting the whole pot, but on rare occasions I'll find a plant that never grows beyond the pot.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #26
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I do like peat pots but don't use them. I love just planting the whole pot, but on rare occasions I'll find a plant that never grows beyond the pot.

Nan
Yes, this.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote