Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old August 11, 2014   #1
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf/Micro Eggplant?

Are there dwarf- or micro- eggplant varieties like we have in tomatoes? I'm interested in garden crops that can grow on the deck/balcony railing and just realized I didn't know of any eggplants that would fit.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2014   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I have one called "Hansel" a dwarf with slim small dark purple small fruits. He has a sister called "Gretel" I believe that is a white one, I have not grown that one. It's cute, blooms like crazy but the fruit are small.
both are hybrids I think but I am not sure.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2014   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I have some that produce little eggplants used for pickling and in Thai dishes. Here is a pic. If you want some seeds send me a pm with your address. https://www.google.com/search?q=thai...2F%3B800%3B723
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2014   #4
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Fairy Tale is a very diminutive plant (I think mine only got about 18 inches high), that pumps out 3-4 inch lavender and white striped beauties. If you catch them before the skin goes dull they are sweet,thin skinned, virtually seedless and very creamy when cooked. I attached a pic of some I harvested last July.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fairytale Eggplant and basils jul 13.jpg (28.1 KB, 93 views)

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2014   #5
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Yes, I have one called "Hansel" a dwarf with slim small dark purple small fruits. He has a sister called "Gretel" I believe that is a white one, I have not grown that one. It's cute, blooms like crazy but the fruit are small.
How big does the plant get? I do expect that miniature plants would produce miniature fruit, but it isn't clear that every plant with miniature fruit would also be miniature in height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I have some that produce little eggplants used for pickling and in Thai dishes. Here is a pic. If you want some seeds send me a pm with your address.
I've seen ones like that around, but I was never sure of the size of the plants. Many of the miniature-fruited types seem to have fairly normal sized plants.

I have seeds to a small-fruited Hmong type that I've been meaning to grow. I think I would like to have some seeds for this type and I can offer some of the Hmong type in exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksCountyGirl View Post
Fairy Tale is a very diminutive plant (I think mine only got about 18 inches high), that pumps out 3-4 inch lavender and white striped beauties. If you catch them before the skin goes dull they are sweet,thin skinned, virtually seedless and very creamy when cooked. I attached a pic of some I harvested last July.
18 in is definitely smaller than some of the varieties I've grown. My ideal image is for a plant that is even shorter… like 10 inches. However, 'Fairy Tale' might be a starting point for breeding one.
Old August 11, 2014   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

my plant is about 12 inches tall. i'll get a pic up for you.
It's a weird little plant.
KO
Old August 11, 2014   #7
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
my plant is about 12 inches tall. i'll get a pic up for you.
It's a weird little plant.
KO
Cool. That puts it on the scale I have been thinking of for growing on the railing of my balcony.
Old August 11, 2014   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada?ref=hl

some pics up on my Facebook gardening page. I am in zone 3 so not exactly prime eggplant growing territory but I find they do well in large dark pots in a hot spot in the yard. I have tried growing them in the ground but they do nothing much, I think they like the warm roots being in a pot allows. I also have a large pot with 4 rosa Bianca plants in it doing well but those are about three feet tall.
KO
Old August 11, 2014   #9
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am in zone 3 so not exactly prime eggplant growing territory but I find they do well in large dark pots in a hot spot in the yard. I have tried growing them in the ground but they do nothing much, I think they like the warm roots being in a pot allows.
I'm a bit south of you, so they might do well enough for me. I'll have to keep 'Hansel' and 'Gretel' in mind for next year.
Old August 12, 2014   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I am growing fairy tale, gretel and rosa bianca in containers. They are in large pots in my greenhouse and the fairy tale is producing small amounts of eggplant but the ones in the ground are much more productive. The Roas Bianca I have picked 3 from and the gretel I am just seeing a small fruit on it. They have all been in there since early May. I expected more from them than I am getting thus far. I water and fertilize them regularly.
Old August 14, 2014   #11
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Morden Midget is a variety bred in Canada for early production, tends to have smaller plants -- here's a link to a Canadian company that lists it -- http://www.heritageharvestseed.com/eggplant.html -- SESE will be offering it in our next catalog.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote