Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 11, 2009   #16
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

tell me more about japanese beetles, this is my first experiece with them. On the internet it list them as a benefical insect however the rascals ate most of the leaves off my eggplants last week. JB did not harm any other plant that I know about, they are ugly little things.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009   #17
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

For real? There's a site that lists Japanese beetles as a beneficial? Can you post a link?

They do a tremendous amount of damage to so many plants in North America, I can't believe anyone would list them as beneficial.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2009   #18
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

I seldom get hornworms. I think the birds take care of them. When I saw one years ago it had the white wasp eggs all over it.

Here's my phenomenon...NO JAPANESE BEETLES! NONE! NADA! ZIPPO! Never, I repeat NEVER, in my 19 years gardening here has that ever happened! Too cool a summer? The floods drowned them? Swine Grub pandemic? My prayers actually worked? I have entered into the twilight zone for sure....?????????
Old August 12, 2009   #19
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

I too haven't seen but a few Japanese Beetles this year and No Hornworms yet. So far so good. Counting my blessings only 1 tomato half eaten and a few that the stinkbugs poked holes in.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2009   #20
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Same here. I saw a couple of JB's early in the summer in my hummer feeder, drowned (yay) and I remember thinking how early they had arrived. But that's it and no damage to anything that I can see.
That never ever happens. But I ain't complaining!
Old August 12, 2009   #21
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigdaddyJ View Post
I seldom get hornworms. I think the birds take care of them. When I saw one years ago it had the white wasp eggs all over it.

Here's my phenomenon...NO JAPANESE BEETLES! NONE! NADA! ZIPPO! Never, I repeat NEVER, in my 19 years gardening here has that ever happened! Too cool a summer? The floods drowned them? Swine Grub pandemic? My prayers actually worked? I have entered into the twilight zone for sure....?????????

In the true spirit of Tomatoville sharing, I will generously ship my Japanese Beetles to you. No, No, don't think me! Sharing is part of the culture of this community, and I'm just trying to fit in.

Last edited by Blueaussi; August 12, 2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: whoops!
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2009   #22
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

And, following Bluaussi's sterling example, I will throw in a free pack of ground squirrels to the first ten posters who reply to this thread.

4 O'clocks are supposed to be a good trap crop for Japanese Beetles, and they are about the easiest plant to grow from seed, even here in these conditions.

As for the Hornworms, I haven't seen any at all either. In some places, I have Summerlong Basil growing in the same container with a tomato plant , so that might account for those. But I still several plants without that protection, and no hornworms!

I thought perhaps the smell of the coco shell mulch i'm using this year masked the tomato smell that the hummingbird moth is supposedly attacted to. I no longer notice that heavy chocolate smell, so it has probably faded by now, but i'm trying the vinegar-on-rags-mammal-repellent thing right now. If the moths stop by, maybe that acrid smell will disquise the enticing tomato perfume and I'll have a totally hornworm free year!

jan
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2009   #23
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

sorry, I don't have that web site.....................I just googled black beetles to start with because I wasn't sure what I had in my garden. I finally found JB and idenitifed the little bugger with the help of a picture.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2009   #24
rutabagaboy
Tomatovillian™

I have one tomato plant at home - Sun Gold.

I found this today:
TomatoHornWorm1.jpg

Parental Advisory: The following photo is graphic and not suitable for all audiences.

A good tomato horn worm!
TomatoHornWorm2.jpg
(The only good tomato horn worm is a DEAD tomato horn worm.)
rutabagaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009   #25
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutabagaboy View Post
I found this today:
Wow that was huge,

Haven't seen any horn worms, I did have a ton of Japanese beetles decimate my pole beans, but they left the corn alone, I'm considering planting the same pole beans as a trap crop...

Lots of June Bugs, and Lots of leaf footed bugs. I never saw the SVB moth, but SVB destroyed my acorn squash and volunteer pumpkins got ripped out, I was late in detecting them.

Cuke beetles starting to lay eggs on my baby pam pie pumpkins now, but not too bad and I've been removing the eggs as I find them.

Had some black swallowtail cats on my parley, brought them indoors for the kids, had one hatch out and the rest in cocoons now.

Haven't seen any cuke beetle eggs on my cukes but they sure are ugly looking leaves, not sure how much more of a season I'll get out of the cukes.
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2009   #26
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

I picked 7 hornworms off just one plant just this morning! I know there are more.... Just about every ripe fruit I have had has had a Fruit worm......Also the spider mites, stink bugs and blister beetles are hidious this year!
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote