Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 11, 2022   #1
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Default When do you add compost to raised beds

When is the best time to add compost to a raised bed. I usually add compost, lime and fertilizer as I plant my tomotoes in Mid-March.

If I add compost in December or January will the benefits of the compost get washed away by the rain?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raised bed.jpg (217.7 KB, 121 views)
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2022   #2
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

You can add your compost now,the nutrients don't get washed out,they are not soluble like typical NPK salts.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2022   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Any time is what I say, too. For me, spring after everything thaws out and it can be mixed into the soil.
Old December 12, 2022   #4
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Half of the positive effect of compost is to the structure of soil. The other half in adding nutrients. If you don't want to use other fertilizers, it's a bit better to add it before you seed or plant whatever you grow. The difference is marginal though.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2022   #5
WoodSprite
Tomatovillian™

I use to add it in the spring. More recently I top off my raised beds with compost and mulch after I clean them out in the fall. That way they are ready to go in the spring. (I don't turn the soil. Just add more layers.) I like this way better for me, however, pretty much anytime you have the time to add the compost is good.
WoodSprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2022   #6
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodSprite View Post
I use to add it in the spring. More recently I top off my raised beds with compost and mulch after I clean them out in the fall. That way they are ready to go in the spring. (I don't turn the soil. Just add more layers.) I like this way better for me, however, pretty much anytime you have the time to add the compost is good.
If the weeds are not heavy then I do not turn the soil either. What mulch do you use.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2022   #7
WoodSprite
Tomatovillian™

I use fine pine shavings from Tractor Supply Company. Some people claim you shouldn't use wood as mulch but I've been using wood chips, sawdust, pine shavings, etc. for over 25 years in my gardens with no ill effects.

Tractor Supply's larger pine shavings (white packaging) would last longer (I use it in my dog's fenced area) but I like the fine shavings (yellow packaging) for the garden. (Both are outside by the front door. You pay inside and pick up on your way out. At least that's how it is here in Pennsylvania.)
WoodSprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2022   #8
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I add some compost about every time I plant or seed. Some years, if uncovered and just laid on top, and we get a dry, hot spell, that added layer will seem to dry out and get very friable.

In general I add the most in the spring while prepping beds, or in the fall when they are done. Just this week I cut off the asparagus stalks and added about 1" of compost, a layer of chopped leaves, and a layer of wood chips. I did my 30 ft raised bed a few months ago. The 20ft still has carrots and parsnips, so that is untouched. For me, it is a definite "whenever" when it comes to compost.

I don't know the climate down there. Other than a lot stronger sun than here. If you get a lot of rain, your nutrition might get washed away. I don't add much fertilizer other than all purpose 10-10-10, usually when I am re-upping the beds with compost.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote