Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 17, 2021   #1
mpiscitelli
Tomatovillian™

Default Medusa Hybrid

I was wondering if anyone in Tomatoville has tried their lycopersicum-worthy hands growing Medusa? If so what were your impressions? Thanks. Mark
mpiscitelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2022   #2
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

hi, mark

hey did you try it out?

I bought the seeds and planted out, but the weather this year was very poor so couldn't tell.
strawbaleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2022   #3
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

This is the start of the description of "Medusa Hybrid Tomato" at Totally Tomatoes

A cross between Damsel Hybrid and Cherokee Purple. The perfect one slicer! Large purple fruits are juicy and acidic in flavor and have an heirloom appearance.

This makes no sense.

Crossing a hybrid with a True-breeding line does not result in a hybrid. Does anyone know who bred this variety?
Old December 11, 2022   #4
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Fred.

I bought mine last year from Harris.

But I just tried to find the breeder of Medusa, and couldn't.

However Damsel F1 was bred by Dr. Jason Cavatorta of EarthWork Seed and is produced by Nipomo Native Seed in California.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Old December 12, 2022   #5
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

My point is simply that Medusa can in NO WAY be a cross between Damsel F1 and Cherokee Purple. It defies the laws of genetics.

And I have little interest in a variety, when whoever developed it can not even get one of their main sellers to accurately represent what the variety is.

No need to identify the parents. That is not necessary, but if you are going to identify them, it better make sense..
Old December 12, 2022   #6
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Fred - can you explain what you mean by "it defies the laws of genetics " I'm not questioning your comment but just trying to bring clarity to it,thanks much.

As we all know ,a person and grow a Damsel F1 and any other tomato and cross pollinate them.

Last edited by biscuitridge; December 12, 2022 at 12:44 PM.
biscuitridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2022   #7
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Maybe Damsel is similar situation to Brandy Boy that is called a hybrid but we now know it's actually a stabilized plant thanks to TVille?
Old December 12, 2022   #8
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
Fred - can you explain what you mean by "it defies the laws of genetics " I'm not questioning your comment but just trying to bring clarity to it,thanks much.

As we all know ,a person and grow a Damsel F1 and any other tomato and cross pollinate them.
Yes. One can physically cross Damsel F1 to a true breeding line.

It does not make a hybrid. The genes from the Damsel F1 parent will segregate, and thus the pseudo-F1 will be genetically and phenotypically variable.

Basic Mendelian Genetics
Old December 12, 2022   #9
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbaleking View Post
Maybe Damsel is similar situation to Brandy Boy that is called a hybrid but we now know it's actually a stabilized plant thanks to TVille?
I think this is quite likely
Old December 12, 2022   #10
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the explanation, that is very helpful for those that may not understand the basics,thanks Fred!
biscuitridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2022   #11
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Fred, have to call this one on details. Most corn hybrids are 4 way crosses where 4 inbred lines are used to produce a productive hybrid. The genetics are ((L1 X L2) X (L3 X L4)) Point being that it is still considered a hybrid even if only 3 parents are used to make the cross. ((L1 X L2) X (L3)) is a 3 way hybrid, and this tomato fits the description. On one point you are 100% correct. The offspring will vary significantly given that Damsel F1 contributes genetics from both parents.

Many tomato hybrids have very few reasons to grow the hybrid. Generally, a good flavored line is crossed with a disease resistant line such that the offspring are somewhat good flavored and somewhat disease resistant. Most of the commercial hybrids I've grown in the last 30 years were no better than some of the better heirlooms. Big Beef and Ramapo were exceptions in that both are significantly better producers of good flavored and disease resistant tomatoes.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2022   #12
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

not seeing any F1 reference at West Coast Seeds, but they do want $10.29 for 10 seeds ..... priced like a hybrid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 7.18.22 AM.jpg (99.6 KB, 53 views)
Old December 15, 2022   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

And D knows, there is a gold heart out there, that she named Medusa, about a decade ago.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote