Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 8, 2008   #16
mariabee63
Tomatovillian™

haha, as long as you got few laughs. That's what I was expecting.
mariabee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008   #17
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Maria,

Okay, I want to get some seeds, so can I order them from your store? How do I tell you which ones I want (I think I want the 20 types for $9.95)?

Thanks.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." From In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008   #18
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I also have ordered KY heirloom tomatoes from Blue Ribbon on ebay; excellent vendor; Gary, from Louisville, recommended Marie.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2008   #19
mariabee63
Tomatovillian™

Hi kktwahoo, you can order right out of my store, or write right to me at mariabee63@hotmail.com. My individual listings are from seeds I grew in the last two seasons. All the seeds I have leftover from years before that go into making the variety packs. (All packets are separately packed and labelled, 20 for 9.99 plus 1.50 to ship any amount.) If you write directly to me, I can send you a list of the varieties that I still have available and you can chose your own varieties. Most folks let me pick them out, and I try to give them what I think would do well in their location. I've sold multiple variety packs to small nurseries for plant sales, and the feedback I've gotten back about germination rates has been excellent. (Thanks kygreg too for jumping in, I didn't know Gary had recommended me!)
Old August 11, 2008   #20
tomatoaddict

Marlowe Charleston... This is a 10/10.. Wow... Super juicy.. So dark it almost looks like a purple
Old August 11, 2008   #21
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

"I would love to hear from anyone with Kentucky heirlooms to trade or sell that I don't already have."
I have a variety from Dog Creek Kentucky called Purple Dog Creek.

Randy

Edit: Oh I see it looks like a couple of people have Purple Dog Creek. If you don't mind my asking where did you get the seeds?
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2008   #22
mariabee63
Tomatovillian™

Default Marlowe Chas & Purple Dog Creek

I grew the Marlowe Charleston again too, Terry. So far I've had two beauties that look just like yours. We had an accident though, my stepfather cut them up before I got their photo! There are more out there though, so I'll make sure to get one of them. I'm also a big fan of this one.
The Purple Dog Creek seems to be the hot "new" Ky heirloom. I'm glad I got in on it. Tomatoaddict generously sent seeds to me to try. It has a great taste. I'm glad Randy brought this up. The community is not called Purple Dog Creek, it's just plain Dog Creek. I think the tomato is actually being referred to as purple, even though it's more of a dusky pink.
Old August 11, 2008   #23
mariabee63
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple Dog Creek part 2

I forgot to mention that I will be listing a limited amount of this tomato on ebay, as soon as my supplies get here. www.blueribbontomatoes.com
Old August 12, 2008   #24
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

"I think the tomato is actually being referred to as purple, even though it's more of a dusky pink."
Back in the old days it was fairly common to refer to pink tomatoes as purple. Some "old timey" people still call pink tomatoes purple. Eva Purple Ball comes to mind as another example of a pink tomato being named purple.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2008   #25
tomatoaddict

Maria,
Are your Marlowe Charleston's RL or PL?
Mine are RL. They fit the description in every other way and was one of my favorite tomatoes this year. I am growing it again next year I liked it so much.
Old October 29, 2022   #26
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Dredging this one up from the archives! And this is exactly why I love that Tomatoville has so much history. I am interested in this tomato for next year- I found some new info from an Ebay seller who originally bought it from Blue Ribbon Seeds who is no longer selling seeds

First introduced in 1995 by Barbara Fath of Pleasant Plain, Ohio..
Barbara Fath received seeds from her late mother-in-law Phyllis Marlowe in the late 1980s. Phyllis obtained them from her mother-in-law, Madeline Marlowe.
Madeline Marlowe grew this tomato in Charleston, West Virginia for over 50 years, and then brought them with her to Ohio. This is where she and then her daughter-in-law Phyllis continued to grow it for another 30 years.
Barbara Fath named this tomato after Madeline Marlowe and the place where she grew it originally, and she continued to grow it, up until 2002. When she found her saved seeds and grew it again in 2008, Barbara observed both regular and potato leaf types. Barbara said that the original is large potato leaf pink and meaty.

Indeterminate plants (originally potato leaf and regular leaf) produce
moderate amounts of pink, 3", 12 oz., beefsteak tomatoes with a
wonderful, unique, sweet , yet mild, well-balanced flavors. Good
disease resistance. Bears until frost.

Have others liked this one in their gardens?
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2023   #27
vanalpaca
Tomatovillian™

I have it on my list of Chuck Wyatt's old website, under Best Sellers: Marlowe Charleston (90 days) Gorgeous potato leaf foliaged plant. bears a good crop of 10-15 oz excellently flavored beefsteak type fruit. I don't have the seeds but it sounds like a good one...will see if I can find it on ebay tonight...
Old March 12, 2023   #28
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that follow up @vanalpaca. It is on my grow list this year.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote