Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 24, 2015   #16
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I've tried - the shallow carrying trays, all the cups tip. There is a deeper variety, they work great. But I have never figured out where to purchase them - I scrounged mine from the local nursery.
Old January 24, 2015   #17
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I use stainless steel full size chaffing dish water pans. The sides are 4.5 inches tall. I also have a few of the inserts which are 2.5 inches tall and slightly smaller. You can get perforated inserts if you want to dip the insert in the water pan for bottom watering. I carry the pans inside at night and prefer the non perforated pans because it is easier to keep the underside clean.

To water I add water to the pan and then drain it with a siphon a few hours later. I use square pots because they are more space efficient but I would guess round would work too.

Initial cost is more than plastic but they last a lifetime. There are no fears of leaks for inside use.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2015   #18
WillysWoodPile

I quit using the round-bottomed cups because they tipped over way too much. I use the square-bottomed Solo cups [when I use Solo cups]. Now I use 5 and 6 inch square pots and the trays made for them. I got tired of them tipping over and messing with drainage. It was just too much of a hassle for me so getting the right pots [for you, for your situation] might be a little more expensive but it is worth it in the long run.
Old January 27, 2015   #19
nickbolk
Tomatovillian™

Last year i started about 2200 seedlings in Costco branded "Kirkland" red beer cups, almost identical to the red solo cups I used (from Costco) the year before. The kirkland cups are square bottom, which I think solo cups are or can be now as well. Both styles fall over quite easily in 1020 flats if you dont stagger the cups- they are too large to do 3 wide in straight rows without tipping. I used a mixture of trays for 4" round and 3.5" square carrying trays and both work excellent!! the square carrying trays were 3x7 and I could fit 20 cups in usually, again because they are a litle bit too big
Old January 28, 2015   #20
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default Not Square, but a tray that works with Costco's red cups

I use a tray that I found online here:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/c...ord=CN-GAR-154

It holds 5 rows of 4 and one row of three that offsets slightly. If you try to squeeze that fourth cup in the one row and don't offset them, they are all tippy. With 23 of the red cups, they fill it such that they stay put. If the plants get too tall, they'll obviously tip over, but they are quite steady otherwise. If it isn't full, they are very tippy - like anywhere else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150128_130624218.jpg (473.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150128_130633377.jpg (344.0 KB, 113 views)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #21
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
I use a tray that I found online here:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/c...ord=CN-GAR-154

It holds 5 rows of 4 and one row of three that offsets slightly. If you try to squeeze that fourth cup in the one row and don't offset them, they are all tippy. With 23 of the red cups, they fill it such that they stay put. If the plants get too tall, they'll obviously tip over, but they are quite steady otherwise. If it isn't full, they are very tippy - like anywhere else.

This. And I use the square bottom cups.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #22
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

dfollett, are those red party cups the kirkland ones from Costco? they don't seem to have a square bottom that Nick had mentioned before.

I like those trays! My restaurant shelving (also from costco) is 16" x 45-3/8" clear of the corner poles, two of these seem like they just might fit per shelf?
Old January 28, 2015   #23
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
dfollett, are those red party cups the kirkland ones from Costco? they don't seem to have a square bottom that Nick had mentioned before.

I like those trays! My restaurant shelving (also from costco) is 16" x 45-3/8" clear of the corner poles, two of these seem like they just might fit per shelf?
Yes, they are the Kirkland cups from Costco. They are the 18 oz size. I have seen some with the square bottom, but didn't look for it or even think about it when I picked these up. Perhaps the square bottom is on the 16 oz size (a more common cup size) or maybe it just depends on what shipment you happen to buy from. I'll pay attention next time I purchase some.

Two of those trays fit perfectly on a 48" wide shelf.
Old January 31, 2015   #24
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

dfollett, are those trays strong enough to be able to pick it up wth all those cups/soil/plants on it?
Old January 31, 2015   #25
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
dfollett, are those trays strong enough to be able to pick it up wth all those cups/soil/plants on it?
Yes, they are much stronger than a standard flat. No problem at all, even when full of plants ready to set out.
Old January 31, 2015   #26
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

how about useing the wax paper containers that chineese food comes in?
they are square bottom and come in bigger sizes than solo cups. Even have a handle on them that can be used while plants are still small

Old Chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #27
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Sterilite "under the bed" 41 qt. Holds 30 large red Walmart plastic cups. They are about 6" deep. All I use now and wish I had thought of it years earlier.
Old January 31, 2015   #28
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

They have lasted me 10 years and are just now starting to get a little brittle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11861802.jpg (8.3 KB, 72 views)
Old February 1, 2015   #29
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

That's a great "tray" too, brokenbar - thank you!

I was at Costco today. Their Kirkland 18oz red cups had an instant rebate so for 240 cups, it came out to be around $8.50ish. Woot!
Old February 1, 2015   #30
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I am looking at my Hummert catalog now, thinking about what I am going to use this coming spring. I'm not so sure that anything I see includes pots that snap into the tray. I want something to hold them down and keep them from bobbing up and falling over. I think I am going to have to make my own trays in order to accomplish this goal.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote