Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 12, 2012   #1
Bellatrix
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving onion seed two years in a row?

Last year I planted Australian Brown onions (overwintered inside from the previous season) for seed saving. It was my first time saving seed from onions and I was very successful. After collecting the seed, the onions were still growing greens, so I left them in the ground and used the greens for soup over the winter. They are still growing now and have sent up flower stalks again!

Can I save seed a second year in a row or will the seed be inferior/selected for small onions that bolt easily?

Thank you,
Bellatrix
Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

The genetics of the seed should be the same as last year assuming it hasn't crossed with some other onion.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012   #3
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

Onions start to suffer from inbreeding depression after a few generations so I've heard you should save seeds from as many plants as possible as long as they're the same variety.
Old May 15, 2012   #4
Bellatrix
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm...hadn't considered the inbreeding depression. Maybe I'll just leave the flowers for the beneficial insects and beauty.

I'm more concerned about epigenetic changes that might select for onions that bolt early. The genes may stay the same, but which ones are on or off might be different. (reading this recently, gives some epigenetic background - www.dista.unibo.it/doublehelix/proceedings/SECTION_III/HELIX pp 157-171.pdf )

I think I will skip saving the seed. Still, very interesting. I thought the onion would die back after seeding, not product side bulbs.

Thanks,
Bellatrix
Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote