Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old January 29, 2012   #1
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Default SE Texas Best for local sale

OK,

Joined here last summer in the middle of the 100+ degree days and Texas drought. Glad thats done...

So I am in an area that has great soil and have grown some stuff for fun with some success, I dont claim to be an expert by any means, but some of the local markets did ok last spring.

So its close to time, and I'm wondering what the best idea might be for types of tomatos that would be popular for the local markets and restraunts.

Thanks a bunch!
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I think it depends on who your target audience is.

A local farmer's market in downtown Houston like Urban Harvest, or Onion Creek is going to reward you for growing unique varieties which don't always have a perfect red round shape.

Markets on the outskirts of town may cater to more "middle of the road" tastes.

And watch out for ersatz farmer's markets like Canino's, 95% of whose produce has UPC stickers on them and comes out of boxes straight from California.

As for restaurants, again it's going to depend on whether you are going high end (premium tomatoes of unique colors and flavors that might get featured on a menu), middle end (seasonal gourmet salads), or low end (something to slap on a burger).

I think regardless, I would check out the Urban Harvest farmer's market and see how they do things, and maybe look at their coursework which is tailored to the challenges of growing within 100 miles of Houston.

Hopefully last summer's 3 months straight of 100 degree temps was a fluke that won't soon be repeated.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #3
Keger
Tomatovillian™

I'll do that, thanks a bunch for your reply and help!
Old January 30, 2012   #4
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Though I have never grown tomatoes for more than family and friends, I have always thought that upscale, locally owned and operated restaurants would be a target rich environment to sell good heirlooms. Especially look for places that are known to source locally and feature only the freshest stuff on their menus. Some of them end up sourcing at places like Central Market and other much smaller specialty grocers and they may get a better deal than I do at those places, but, those places tend to sell heirlooms at $4-5 per pound. Seems like an entrepreneur with a couple of restaurant contacts could beat those stores prices and still do quite well on a per pound basis. Just a thought.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2012   #5
Keger
Tomatovillian™

I agree.

I really dont mind if I dont have a huge production, there is already plenty of the regular stuff, they dont need me for that.
Old January 31, 2012   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

My introduction to heirloom tomatoes was tasting (before that got shut down by the thought police) Cherokee Purple and Druzba at a farmer's market in Houston. I was instantly hooked.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old January 31, 2012   #7
Keger
Tomatovillian™

I'll find them. Do you know a source for seeds or plants?
Old February 1, 2012   #8
TexasSue
Tomatovillian™

A friend N. of Houston grows Heirloom Black Krim and she said flavor was wonderful so I am planting some this year farther NE of Houston.
TexasSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2012   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
I'll find them. Do you know a source for seeds or plants?
There are a tremendous selection of heirloom and hybrid tomato varieties available every year in Houston assuming you skip the big box stores:

http://www.settfest.com/2009/01/wher...ended-vendors/

I used to start seeds December 26-January 8th or so, and plant out March 1-8th or so. I would never plant tomatoes after March 15th. So I would be on the lookout for tomato plants at nurseries around the last week of February.

Old February 1, 2012   #10
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Cool... I put it on the list.
Old February 1, 2012   #11
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Out of couriosity, why not after the 15th? Is it simply too hot too fast here, or are some varieties ok for the later part of the season? I guess watering is an issue too, think I watered too much last year, even in the heat. Lots of cracks on the tomatoes.
Old February 1, 2012   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
Out of couriosity, why not after the 15th? Is it simply too hot too fast here, or are some varieties ok for the later part of the season? I guess watering is an issue too, think I watered too much last year, even in the heat. Lots of cracks on the tomatoes.
Indeterminate plants put out tomatoes through out the season.

It starts heating up and the blossoms fall off you end up taking care of a plant that does not produce anything.

The smaller varieties will last longer throughout the season.
It all depends on the variety and what temp the blossoms fail to pollinate due to heat.

I see many people here buy 6 inch plants in April and get nothing, but yet year after year they do it.
To this day I wonder why they continue to do this.

The vest way to keep fruit from cracking is to keep them well watered, moist not soggy and not dry out.

This also helps tremendously with BER.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2012   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I find that growing tomatoes in Houston is almost like growing tomatoes up north, just hotter.
  • March 8th - my typical date to put plants in
  • May 5th - first harvest
  • mid-June - harvest really starts to decline
  • mid-July - plants are dead
That's a 130 day season.

Old February 2, 2012   #14
Keger
Tomatovillian™

I'll see what happens this year. Plants made it last year until I abput quit messing with them in Sept, but it wasnt great by that time. I guess we'll just hit it hard as the weather permits.
Old February 2, 2012   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I get to put them in the ground march 1st or so and leave for work.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote