Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 2, 2006   #1
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Default 1884

My memory seems to have failed me about the history of this variety. Most websites that I have checked refer to the history of 1884 as being a single plant found growing after "The Great Flood of 1884" in West Virginia.
Tangersong:
1884 - BEEFSTEAK - Indeterminate - 85 days – Pink - Regular Leaf. Fair production of huge fruits. The plant was discovered by Mr. Williamson near Friendly, West Virginia, in a pile of flood debris in 1884. Nice large tomato with a good flavor.
However, I thought someone had once mentioned that it was actually the seeds that were found after the flood. Perhaps I am thinking of another variety.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #2
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Last year, I grew what I thought was 1884 [no info on who I got the seeds from]. It turned out to be a pink, pointed/nippled paste of about 3-4 ozs with very good flavor with solid flesh. I may get new seeds and try 1884 again one of these days.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #3
veggiecanner
Tomatovillian™

Earl
you must have gotten your 1884 seeds from the same place I did. Mine last year looked the same as your description. (see my avitar) Not very productive, I think I'll toss the seed from those.
Old March 3, 2006   #4
melody
Tomatovillian™

SSE description says it was an actual plant that a Mr. Williamson discovered growing in a pile of debris near Friendly, WV after a 1884 flood. Pink, RL, indet, large beefy fruits.

I grow Abe Hall, also a pink ,RL, indet, beefsteak. A tomato was supposedly picked out of the Ohio River by a Mr. Abe Hall, who was riding out a flood on the roof of his home.No history on the year, or where along the Ohio River he was though.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Jeff,

It's reported in the SSE Yearbooks that it was a plant growing on a pile of flood debris that was found, which makes sense. I dare say that any free seeds would have been washed away by the previous flood that led to the pile of flood debris serving as a new home for the seed that led to the plant that led to the fruits that led to the seeds from those fruits that led to it being called 1884.

Different reports from SSE members who list it say the fruits are generally in the range of from 12 oz to 2 lbs, so I'm not sure where the rest of you are getting your seeds, but a small 3-4 oz fruit size sure isn't right for this variety.

And is it yet another variety that has a new name? Probably, since the seeds had to come from someones garden to end up germinating and growing on the debris pile.

I grew it so many years ago that I can't really remember what I thought of it except to say that I don't forget the ones I really do like.
Old March 3, 2006   #6
melody
Tomatovillian™

OOps! Carolyn and I were posting at the same time....

I've often wondered if the Abe Hall and the 1884 were the same variety...andwhat the original cultivar was.
Old March 3, 2006   #7
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn,
I just reread my initial post and it did not come across as I had meant. I did not mean that the seeds were just floating around (so to speak) but that the seeds were in a vial or something in a basement. It was only after the flood that the seed vial was dislodged.
I am growing this one for the taste (I hope), its links to WV, and interesting story (that has been now verified) behind it.
ABE HALL- Thanks for the inforrmation on this variety. The history behind this one also has perked my interest. I think I will add to my 2007 growout list.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #8
melody
Tomatovillian™

Abe Hall is a very good tomato...productive and the size doesn't seem to fall off in the heat of the summer as bad as some. Very good flavor.

I collect old varieties of any veggie or fruit with the name Hall and that is what initially got me to try the tomato. Hall is my mother's surname and the family enjoys the veggies with a history.

Got a SSE request for a cuke out right now for Ephraim Hall...can't wait to try it either.