Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 1, 2006   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Baked seedling disaster

Last Friday, I had all but about 2 of 21 varieties that had germinated and were growing. I decided to put my seed trays in the oven with just the oven light on to warm up the soil and get the remaining seeds to germinate.

My DW did not know I had put them in there. Of course, I told myself to let her know, but thought it would be okay. Well, I got up to grill some burgers. As I passed through the kitchen, to my horror, I saw that the oven was preheating for the fries that were going with the burgers.

I ran to the oven, grabbed the trays, which luck had that they had not reached the melting point. However, the damage was done and all seedlings were dead.

I did replant, as transplant date is still six weeks away. Anybody else ever do something like this?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2006   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

Note to self: "Scotch tape and note paper."

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2006   #3
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

this is a very sad story ~ I hope you recover
from such a disaster ! ~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2006   #4
bully
Tomatovillian™

NOOOOOOOO...
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2006   #5
creister
Tomatovillian™

I think I will recover, as it seems to become something to laugh about, I'm sure I was as red as the reddest red tomato at the moment. I will say I was lucky that nothing melted.

PV - your advice is well taken! Believe me, I will use those life saving tools next time.

The good news is that about 11 seedlings that had not germinated from the original planting are now under lights.
Old March 1, 2006   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

Creister,

I didn't mean to be snide or anything ... I was just reminded of how I had to tape up little notes all over the place when I owned a restaurant. Otherwise ... complete chaos and destruction followed. "Too many cooks in the kitchen" as I'm sure you've heard said.

If there's any seeds I can mail you, please don't hesitate to ask. I may have them.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2006   #7
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Sorry

So sorry to read this, Creister.

I can imagine how the disaster could happen. I do hope the burgers were good. It's even better to know that time is on your side.

I planted late but this season has been a very good. So late can be great. As in new blue-ribbon varieites coming through in fall. I'll get back to you on this score :wink:

Best wishes for a great season. Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2006   #8
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Creister,

Sorry to hear about your news. Luckily, the containers did not melt.

I do suggest that you tell your wife ahead of time AND put a huge note on the oven door. I my house, the rule is:

Never turn on the oven before checking it first.

This is a rule that came from my mother and grandmother's houses. My grandmother is infamous for storing pans in the oven (not enough space in her cabinets). Because she is on a limited income, she buys "cheap" pans with cheap handles. Boy did I get in trouble when I melted the handles on several pans.

I had another instance when MOM did not look in the oven. When I was "still under her roof," the rule was always check the oven first (see my previous story). Well, DM did not follow her own rule. I had placed a couple of freezer bags full of popcorn for the X-mas tree in the oven (I was hiding the bags from my younger brothers). Well, the bags did melt. Boy what a mess, especially since mom had an electric stove. To make a long story short, I ended up having to clean up the mess.

Please don't stay mad with DW. :wink: Remember, it was only an accident. On one occassion, DH dumped a few plastic cups with fermenting tomato seeds. I was VERY mad for about a week. After, getting advice from many at GW, I chilled out. Like your oven, my cups were not labeled.

Take care,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #9
creister
Tomatovillian™

PV- you didn't sound snide, I appreciate comments, as it helps make it through such disasters. Right now I got about 11 plants under lights.

I was more angry with myself for not telling DW, as putting seed trays in the oven is not the most common everyday kitchen practice. Anyways, thanks all for the replies.
Old March 2, 2006   #10
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Criester...first off, Mighty Happy you came on over to Tomatoville, as i really enjoy readin yo posts...

Secondly, dont feel like the Lone Ranger...i know the pain ...))) I had 5 Wes seedlins doin jus fine, in a plastic cut-off vinegar jug, but they got hit w/a cold rain, and...in sympathy, i set them on top of my wood-burnin stove, which was died down, hopin only to give them a little comfort from their ordeal. well..that was a fine idea...if only, i had removed them prior to stokin up the heater, the next mornin, w/out removin them. Chalk that loss up, to my stupidity...Live, Love, an LEARN...