Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 20, 2016   #16
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

Are you referring to the Kapuler strain promoted by Carole Deppe ?

http://www.caroldeppe.com/FVS%202016...orm-160113.pdf

" This line, selected by the Kapuler family for decades, is earlier, higher yielding, and has bigger tomatoes with
much less seed than many lines of Amish Paste"
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016   #17
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Kapular has a website with a lot of good info http://peaceseedslive.blogspot.com/
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollas View Post
Are you referring to the Kapuler strain promoted by Carole Deppe ?

http://www.caroldeppe.com/FVS%202016...orm-160113.pdf

" This line, selected by the Kapuler family for decades, is earlier, higher yielding, and has bigger tomatoes with
much less seed than many lines of Amish Paste"
Interesting to me for two reasons

First, I didn't know that Deppe was selling seeds

Second, since Amish Paste was not available until 1987 in the SSE YEarbook, well I suppose that that is several decades and I'm pretty sure that Alan was an SSE member back then, I could check,but,well,but, if he got it back in 1987 or so, what was the reason it changed from what the original was and why mention many strains.Was it mutation,or something else.

But pleased to see less seeds which is why so many didn't want to use it as a paste tomato.

And yes,I used to know Alan very well since he requested many varieties from my SSE listings

Carolyn
Old January 20, 2016   #19
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

Maybe there is some epigenetic involved
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollas View Post
Maybe there is some epigenetic involved
Could be, but no way to know for sure since there's not that much scientific work done with tomatoes re epigentics, but yes, known for some in general, but I don't think specifically as to naming varieties.

Carolyn
Old January 20, 2016   #21
drew51
Tomatovillian™

For me Amish Paste is not what I'm looking for. I like sauce that is not sweet. Fresh eating I like sweet tomatoes. So any tomato that is decent fresh is in most cases something I don't want for sauce. I have found the acidic and even the bland tomatoes fresh make the very best sauce.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016   #22
mrdoitall
Tomatovillian™

I like a tomato called "Prue" for sauce and canning and tomato soups. It has a delicious rich flavor, campbell soup taste to me. Link>http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Prue
mrdoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016   #23
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Would that be Mark, who was a good friend of Chuck Wyatt and no doubt got his Amish Paste seeds from Chuck since Chuck had access to them long ago via SSE and Mark was not an SSE member, and yes,for a while Mark did have a website where he sold seeds but I thought that was extinct many years ago.

Wrong Scarinzi?

He's the only one I know with that last name who was involved with tomatoes and he and Chuck exchanged many varieties so I'm having a hard time thinking that Mark's seeds would be anything different or special.

Carolyn
Right Scarinzi, Carolyn.

Mark sent me seeds a few years ago for the MMMM swap. He was hoping for some feedback on grow-outs, but I think I was the only one to respond. He might be a member here, because he either contacted me by PM or email.

I'll have to look through my 996 PM's to see if I can locate him.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Right Scarinzi, Carolyn.

Mark sent me seeds a few years ago for the MMMM swap. He was hoping for some feedback on grow-outs, but I think I was the only one to respond. He might be a member here, because he either contacted me by PM or email.

I'll have to look through my 996 PM's to see if I can locate him.

Gary
Gary, I checked his last name here as a member ,nothing, and I have no idea whatsoever what he might have used for a user number, so that's that.

No need to check your PM's as I see it, and no way to know how he might have had your em addy either,

Summary?

I don't think anything from him would be anything special given what I wrote above.

Carolyn
Old January 21, 2016   #25
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

nicollas,

Thanks for that link. I plan on trying that Kapuler version of Amish Paste, and compare it to the Amish Paste that I obtain from SSE. She lists a few other varieties that I'm interested in as well. I've grown the Candystick Dessert Delicata Squash the past two years, and I've been impressed with it. I need more seed, so I'll likely order that from her as well.

Last edited by Douglas14; January 21, 2016 at 02:06 AM.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote