Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 11, 2016   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Size of Fourth of July PLANT?

I've never grown this before, so thought I might try it next spring. But I'd like to grow it in an EarthBox, so "size does matter!" For those who have grown it, what do you think? Fairly compact -- say 6 ft or under?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I've grown it in a pot several times and keep meaning to give it a spot in one of my EBs but still have not. In pots its fairly compact and I don't recall it getting over 3 feet. Likely more in an EB.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #3
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

This guy is what made me want to try 4th of July's. In this video you can see the size
of his plants.

https://youtu.be/RxAQ4d9lWbw
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #4
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
This guy is what made me want to try 4th of July's. In this video you can see the size
of his plants.

https://youtu.be/RxAQ4d9lWbw
Thanks for the link. Yes, good video, but wish he had walked a little slower!

Looks like they might be a bit bigger than Stupice, but not by too much. Plants definitely look EarthBox friendly.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Indeterminat , AKA vine type never, stops growing. But if you let it grow all the suckers/side branches that should slow it down. Also when you have drought or it turns cold it would slow down the growth. So nobody can tell you how tall an indeterminant can grow : The catalogs might say 5-6ft. That is just a ball park number.
I grew a FOJ last year it was average indet size, not very aggressive. JMO
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

I agree that it's indeterminate and mine, which was in the ground, reached between 5 and 6' but it was a well-behaved plant and could easily be grown in an EB based on varieties I've seen others plant in them.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #7
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I have Fourth of July F1 classified as a T/W/T in my garden, meaning Tall/Wide/Thin.

Tall - I head it in early Aug at about 5.5 ft. Lots of vigour so it would definately go higher if we had more growing season. Last summer this height produced 5 trusses of fruit.
Wide - Bigger, long strong leaves mean it grows quite wide.
Thin - However, the plant is not bushy if it is pruned. I let mine grow 2 leaders and they still are not bushy.

A winner in Zone 3a
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #8
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I've never grown this before, so thought I might try it next spring. But I'd like to grow it in an EarthBox, so "size does matter!" For those who have grown it, what do you think? Fairly compact -- say 6 ft or under?

-GG

Here, I grow it in the ground -- don't prune it -- and size varies from year to year, but I'd say usually a healthy, reasonably bushy plant between 4 and 5 feet tall -- doesn't try to take over its surroundings, just grows enough, when happy, to produce early and keep on doing it.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote