Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 10, 2016   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedling containers.

I might as wel start a new thread on the subject and give some input.
Later if there is intrest I can give more information on the types and what I have found.
Right now I would like to give some pros and cons on what I am finding out so far.
The peat pots I am growing some in are doing great.
The big plus I see with them is they are almost impossible to water log.
In other words if you get them soaked they will dry out fast and you dont have to worry as much about damping off.
This is a big plus with me doing this in such cold weather.
The con is you have to water more big deal.

The plastic and glass containers take almost forever to dry out so you need to account for this and not water as much.
Then as the plant gets bigger you dont have to worry about it.
At least for me this is why I dont like to have them all setting in water all of the time.
It always seems there are some that get and stay water logged.

Now I am going to talk about investing in the square or round containers you can buy on line along with the trays they fit in.
They are a great investment if you buy the right kind.
There are the heavy duty injection molded AKA extruded.
And the are the ones that are thin walled vacuum formed.

Here are the squares they are expensive but if you are willing to pay for them and take care of them they last a good long time.
I have some made the same way by another company I have been saving but that company has been conglomoed and I cant figure out how to order from them.
Take a look and I will be back later
http://store.beldenplastics.com/Squares
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #2
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

[Behold, he resurfaces!]
Note that one should always make sure to buy the right size pots for the tray. I bought 3 1/2" pots for my trays, and while they did technically fit, there's a significant difference btw. those pots and 3" pots, mainly that you can't get the plastic lid to fid on the tray when you use the larger pots....

(I'm using extra review textbooks to keep the lids reasonably well-seated atop the pots)
Old January 10, 2016   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

From the picture of your plants, in the other thread , I see that they are already in 3 1/2 to 4" pots. so then your next step should be like half a gallon size ?.

When I start my seeds and grow seedling under light , 6- 7 weeks before plant out, the 3 1/2 to 4" is all I need. I have tons of them ( round and square) accumulated over the year. Even I have plenty of half a gallon round ones.
But if I wanted to buy them probably would go with the square shape. They are better to arranges in trays. Jus my 2 cents.

Gardeneed
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
From the picture of your plants, in the other thread , I see that they are already in 3 1/2 to 4" pots. so then your next step should be like half a gallon size ?.

When I start my seeds and grow seedling under light , 6- 7 weeks before plant out, the 3 1/2 to 4" is all I need. I have tons of them ( round and square) accumulated over the year. Even I have plenty of half a gallon round ones.
But if I wanted to buy them probably would go with the square shape. They are better to arranges in trays. Jus my 2 cents.

Gardeneed
I normally dont pot up any more but this year who knows.

Square is much better than round for two reasons.
One is like you said the group together better.
The other is a square of the same size will hold more soil.

At the grocery store they sell the plants in these really nice square pots like you see.
To get the tray for free I move plants around and buy a few and they just give me the free flat.
They are really nice.

Worth
Old January 11, 2016   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

if you have the space, bigger is better but it is more expensive as they need more potting mix per pot. I transplant from either cell or peat pellet straight to a liter pots. I wash and re-use saved greenhouse pots from purchased plants and I get my family/friends to save pots for me from plants they buy as well. 6" pots are great, don't dry out as quickly and can hold my big 24" seedlings properly in the GH until plant out time without getting root bound.
I prefer those plastic mesh greenhouse flats to place them in rather than solid ones to facilitate drainage. They come free from garden centers here when you buy them full of six packs. Square pots do fit nice and snug in trays which makes them easy to carry but you can ,make do with round ones on the benches as well especially if you aren't carrying them around much. they become brittle over time exposed to UV but they last at least 4 or more seasons if you handle them carefully

Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I use solo cups. It works.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #7
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Out of cells into newspaper pots made from wrapping newspaper around a soup can, I usually then plant the newspaper pot and all at plant out time, but I noticed this fall when pulling done/dead tomato plants there were some plants that the roots were restricted because of paper pots. Think I will remove them this year before planting.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #8
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

Karen, I am wondering what medium do you use for the larger pots? I tried a few bigger ones last season and some just would not dry out and plants were lost.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I use solo cups. It works.
I like them, too. But I wish someone would invent a tray that would hold them down while being watered so they didn't tip over.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I went with a 5.5 square, 6 inch deep vacuum formed Coex pot from Greenhouse Megatore for up-potting. They are deep enough to keep the seedling happy until plant out time and being square, they fit well in trays. Like a solo cup, the rims are rigid but the sides are flexible. I think I've been using them for three years now and so far haven't lost any to breakage.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdian View Post
Karen, I am wondering what medium do you use for the larger pots? I tried a few bigger ones last season and some just would not dry out and plants were lost.
When I pot up they go out to the greenhouse, cold at night with a heater so the GH is not very humid. usually pretty warm/hot with the louvers and vent + door open during the day so there is airflow. For seedlings I usually use miracle grow potting mix. Costco sells it here in the large bags. I grow my seedlings quite large before plant out, 24 " often blooming. Works for me but once they are big my seedlings need to be watered every day for sure. When they are little, maybe every 3 days depending how hot it is in the GH. I try never to let them dry right out. I hand water keeping the foliage dry and they don't sit in water in flats.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #12
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Out of cells into newspaper pots made from wrapping newspaper around a soup can, I usually then plant the newspaper pot and all at plant out time, but I noticed this fall when pulling done/dead tomato plants there were some plants that the roots were restricted because of paper pots. Think I will remove them this year before planting.

When I have used either the peat, cow pat or newspaper pots, I poke my fingers into the pot a few places pretty good to make sure the roots don't have to fight their way out when transplanting- since I have started doing that, haven't had any problems with them taking off real well.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
When I pot up they go out to the greenhouse, cold at night with a heater so the GH is not very humid. usually pretty warm/hot with the louvers and vent + door open during the day so there is airflow. For seedlings I usually use miracle grow potting mix. Costco sells it here in the large bags. I grow my seedlings quite large before plant out, 24 " often blooming. Works for me but once they are big my seedlings need to be watered every day for sure. When they are little, maybe every 3 days depending how hot it is in the GH. I try never to let them dry right out. I hand water keeping the foliage dry and they don't sit in water in flats.
KarenO

I'm using the same stuff Organic Natures Care but the raised bed soil.
I looked it it and it was practically the same thing as the potting mix.
I have yet to see any dirt in it.
The soil dries out nicely.

As for the SOLO cups I saw a video where a woman was using them but they were square on the bottom.
These would fit in a square pot carrying tray.

Worth
Old January 11, 2016   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Solo Cups are not stable. (Narrow bottom, too tall ). Like Cole said, that would be nice if had a tray system to accommodate.
These are the ones I use. There re-used nursery pots that we have kept.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pots.jpg (2.8 KB, 164 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #15
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I still follow Craig's dense planting method using seedling trays like this. I then move them to 3 inch pots when they are ready.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cell phone 219.jpg (259.1 KB, 162 views)
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote