Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 10, 2007   #1
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Default "Green Cherry" variety

I came across a variety simply called "Green Cherry".

Does anyone know this variety and where it came from? Is it related to any of the other 'known' green cherry tomatoes?

Any help is appreciated.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2007   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
I came across a variety simply called "Green Cherry".

Does anyone know this variety and where it came from? Is it related to any of the other 'known' green cherry tomatoes?

Any help is appreciated.
It's from a seedbank in Australia and as I recall was distributed to several SSE members by John Smarz.

I got it from SSE member Bill Minkey and grew it and didn't like it at all. Soft and mushy with no flavor.

I'm not aware of any relationship with any other green cherries of which I really only know three; Green Grape and Verde Claro, both bred by Tom Wagner and seeds for the latter not available publicaly, and Green Doctors, a spontaneous mutation of the variety Dr. Carolyn.
Old December 10, 2007   #3
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

I tried to grow it last year..but germination was zero..I dont know if it was my seed source or if it is just a tough one to get started.

I have another called green grape..but have not done anything with it.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2007   #4
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I got it from SSE member Bill Minkey and grew it and didn't like it at all. Soft and mushy with no flavor.
Quote:
I tried to grow it last year..but germination was zero..
Hmmm. Sounds interesting. Now I really have to give it a try! .

Thanks Carolyn!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old December 10, 2007   #5
FarmerCathy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I tried to grow it last year..but germination was zero..I dont know if it was my seed source or if it is just a tough one to get started.

I have another called green grape..but have not done anything with it.
I have not tried the green cherry, but really liked the green grape. Very sweet.
FarmerCathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2007   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I tried to grow it last year..but germination was zero

It seems to me that that might be due to your seed source, assuming all your other tomatoes germinated well.

What was your seed source?

Tania, Jeff C grew it and liked it, I guess, but I also told him what I thought of it and you don't see it listed in the Yearbook do you?

Bill didn't like it that much and I don't know about Neil L, but Neil, you know you could post here from time to time if you wanted to.

Cathy, Green Cherry is at the opposite end of the poles as regards Green Grape the way I see it. But as with all varieties, you have to grow it to see if you like it.

Is anyone offering it commercially? I haven't seen it but there's no way that I can look at all seed sources to monitor that.
Old December 10, 2007   #7
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Tania, Jeff C grew it and liked it, I guess, but I also told him what I thought of it and you don't see it listed in the Yearbook do you?
No, it is not in the Yearbook, and that's why I wanted to grow it at the first place !

I am not aware of any commercial vendors offering it, but I didn't take time to check all of them either. I got a few seeds from my gardener friend.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old December 10, 2007   #8
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Tatiana, I only grew it one year. I DID like it, but found it very hard to find just the right stage to eat it. If I let it get too amber green, I didn't care for it; but it was also not very good if picked too soon. A real juggling act to find just the right stage, but at that stage, it was very good.

Plant growth was extremely vigorous. I had to keep cutting it back so it wouldn't overgrow my other cherries.

I have grown Green Doctors, Green Grape, and Green Cherry, but never together in the same year, so hard to compare.

My source was John Smarsz in Australia. He says they fall to the ground when ripe, but that is too late for my tastes.
Linda10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2007   #9
Tania
Tomatovillian™

thanks Linda. I am growing it in 2008.

Tatiana's TOMATObase