Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 27, 2006   #1
WildLife
Tomatovillian™

Default Messed Up

Hey All,
Well I messed up big time. I have/had( :-( ) a
sheet that showed which varieties of Toms were
growing in which cells of my 2x2s. The cells are 6's
4's and 8's which were all placed in a box alighned to each other. I drew a map orientated to the different cells
to show what was sewed. I have alot of seedlings with no idea of what they are.
So what ever method of labeling you al use, be carefull!
I know they are 3 varieties of cherries, and 2 types of
salad. It wouldn't be so bad except I promised certain
types to certain people. They have limited areas and
specific tastes. Oh well..........
Wild "its still a mater" Life
WildLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I feel your pain.
I have had similar problems in the past. Once a toddler removed all the markers from plants hardening off on the back porch. Another time ,the marker I used on peat pots was pretty much gone by transplant time.
Now, I am thouroughly anal about labeling. I make a master copy of my plantings. I also mark each cell with paper and tape on the labels. When my transplants go into 4" pots I put in a marker and I write on the pot the name( or at least initials) in nail polish or perm. marker.
Hopefully ,you will be able to decipher most of your varieties later.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #3
bully
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have had similar problems in the past. Once a toddler removed all the markers from plants hardening off on the back porch
Around here we call those 'helpers'
or is it anti-helpers
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

If none of them are PL, then that doesn't help, but as a general rule cherries grow quite a bit faster than other kinds, so much so that most folks sow them up to a week later.

Whether that will help or not, I don't know.
Old February 27, 2006   #5
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

I feel your pain too. My first year gardening, I had the brilliant thought, "There's no need for me to mark every pot...I'll just mark one in each group." In my infinite wisdom, I assumed that since each variety was grouped together on separate windowsills, marking just one pot on each sill would be sufficient.

It worked like a charm...until my helpful husband brought all the pots in the house one chilly evening. He was just trying to help but when I walked into the house and saw them all scattered about on the kitchen table, I nearly cried.

Now all my pots are clearly marked with little white plastic inserts. Each and every one of them... :wink:
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #6
Rena
Tomatovillian™

All of the above has happened to me. The helpers are the worst :wink: This year I am more anal then ever I have blue tags for plants that are strictly mine or are important for seeds. I have white tags for my extra plants or the give aways. Next year I will evolve to even a more complex system
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2006   #7
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

My big helper is a Bulldog named Da BOSS. He specializes in harvesting.
Old February 27, 2006   #8
bully
Tomatovillian™

I remember da boss..an American Bulldog..did you post his picture on the pet pic forum?

bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #9
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Mixing up your ID's is almost as bad as dropping a flat of just planted seeds which happened to me the other day. That wasnt the big problem tho..........I was bringing the flat into the house to put under the lights and I dumped it onto the couch in the den. I was trying to carry a flat in each hand and caught one of them but the other one got away. It will cost me to rent a cleaner to clean the couch but I'm wondering if I will get any seed to sprout that I may not pick up in the couch. Just kidding and
No, my wife isnt mad at me. She will just probably make me buy her a new couch this spring.
Cheers
Chuck B
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #10
Torquill
Tomatovillian™

This year, it's grease pencil on the outside of each cell in each six-pack -- abbreviations, in case I lose track of what the original number assignments were.

That's for the transplants, though -- the first sowing was in nine-cell packs, two of them... I stick a toothpick in one cell and call it the top left cell, #1. The number assignments go on an index card that is kept right next to the rack, but even if I lose that, I know they're in alphabetical order. (#1 is Black Krim, then #2 is Box Car Willie and #3 is Brandywine, etc.) So long as I put the toothpick at the top left, I know I have the right orientation.

I might lose the toothpick if they all get dumped, but I'm in trouble then anyway... I figure that if they're that young, I can re-sow without too much time lost. It's once I pot them up that I get paranoid.

--Alison
who has peppers that are numbered in grease pencil, not marked with abbreviations... but we all know which veggie is more important, right?