Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old September 9, 2014   #46
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
What a difference mulch makes! In the area that I've had covered with old leaves, horse manure, shavings and pine needles since beginning of August, I have a dark layer of loam and plenty of earthworms. Other areas have light tan sand and no life.
amazing how fast that happens isn't it?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2014   #47
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Yes it is. Seems much faster here even then AZ, I spose since the soil is sandy? As I ripped up tree roots it really turned this layer into the top 6", too.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2014   #48
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Scott, let me know when you find out more about that test.
Apparently my soil is either quite compacted or there is such a thick layer of roots that I can't get to budge. I've been trying to till in a thick layer of rotted pine needles and leaves just to get a good start but my big, rear tined tiller is just scraping the surface. I always thought sand didn't pack?
I have a bunch of strawberries and my fall garden to get planted. I think I'm just going to go right into my thick mulch layer with the strawberries as if I was lasagna gardening. I haven't decided how to plant the direct sown seeds, maybe toss a layer of garden soil on top to make a finer seed bed?
I sprinkled a small amount of lime out, since I'm 0.6 points too low, even for strawberries.
I'm going to cover crop the area that the septic field was put into as well as the excess vegetable garden area.
I found this article fascinating:
http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/...cs142p2_033488
Tracy,
I found out about the test. It is called the Haney test after the developer Rick Haney USDA SARE. It is particularly useful for anyone getting their primary nutrition for plants based on biological activity (mineralization) as opposed to inputs. This would include cover crops for soil health. I found a Lab in Nebraska that does the test. Ward Labs. The cost there is ~$50. So not exactly cheap compare to most state agricultural universities offering the standard test free through the extension services. However, this test measures several things including biological activity and soil health. Some/most of us organic growers need because the true picture may not show up in the standard tests that measure water soluble inorganic NPK.

Here is an explanation of the test:
Haney Test Explanation

Rick Haney's work on soil health

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; October 17, 2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old October 16, 2014   #49
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Redbaron, I am new to this, have looked a bit into this new test. How it is different from Reams test? I get the analogy that Albrecht test shows what is savings account for soil with strong acids, but Reams testing with weak acids shows checking account balance, seems like pretty similar idea to new testing. I have done testing with CSI and Int Ag labs.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2014   #50
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Redbaron, I am new to this, have looked a bit into this new test. How it is different from Reams test? I get the analogy that Albrecht test shows what is savings account for soil with strong acids, but Reams testing with weak acids shows checking account balance, seems like pretty similar idea to new testing. I have done testing with CSI and Int Ag labs.
The main difference is the CO2 released and how that is compared to the other tests including organic matter to calculate bioactivity that tells not so much the current fertility, but what will be released by that biological activity. Then the two are added together (current fertility + what will slow release during the grow season) for a better analysis of the soil when the source is not added inputs, but instead what will be generated by that said biological activity. That's the short explanation.

So if you garden with miracle grow or conventional farm with NPK, this probably isn't the best test for you. The standard test is both cheaper and more robust. Even some organic gardeners/farmers this might not be so helpful, if it is just substitution organic.

BUT if you use regenerative forms of agriculture or horticulture that uses biomimicry to take advantage of nature's natural biological nutrient cycles, this is the test for you.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old October 17, 2014   #51
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Redbaron, thanks for explanation. I would consider myself biological gardener. So it is pretty much evaluation of whether my aerated compost tea is doing correct job and adding in right microbes that are going to stay active and work.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote