Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 16, 2018   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Tasty Green cucumbers

Anyone grow this variety?I ran out of room in my garden,so I'm growing them in a 6 gallon bucket.I was given 4 buckets by my brother-in-law who makes home made wine.Grape juice was in the buckets.First time trying this.I have a tomato cage in the bucket but may need something different.I might make a larger cage out of some wire fence with 4 inch square holes that I use when planting them in past years in 6 foot wide mounds.I planted 4 seeds and all came up.Will thin down to 2 plants. They are in a white bucket and the weather is hot,it's going to be in the 90's the next few days the seedlings are 4 days old,I have been giving them a half gallon of watered down black coffee(no sugar) leftover each morning after it cooled down mixed with cool water.Seems to be working well.Will be giving them a tea made from alfalfa pellets in a week or two.I have not grown in containers much so really don't know how much water they need or when it comes to adding fertilizer.I did read that they need more watering and the potting mix never feeds then 3 to 4 months as stated on the bag.I used a cheap potting mix that said can be used for flowers and vegetables.Should I be doing anything else?
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

At first I thought you were asking for suggestions for tasty cukes, but then realized you were asking about the cuke called Tasty Green,which is an F1 hybrid, and yes,I've grown it and yes,I do like it,but here's what I like even better.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.8GOOrtI6eQc

Regular cukes are Cucumis sativus but Armenian ones are C.melo. Yes,a type of melon that tastes like a cuke, never bitter, stay sgood on the vine,and delicious for me.

Try them sometime,you might like them very much as I do.

Carolyn
Old June 16, 2018   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I did buy some of those seeds but did not plant them.I'll save them for next year.Thanks you Carolyn137.I asked my daughter if she wanted to plant both seeds at her mother-in-laws garden where they have more room but she did not want to.She has never planted a garden.Her in laws planted cucumbers but I don't know what type.I gave her different heirloom tomatoes I grew from seed that her mother-in-law planted.So maybe next year I'll ask again about planting there.
Old June 17, 2018   #4
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I grow Tasty Green and Sweet Success most of the time.

The Tasty Green cucumbers are an excellent cucumber for salads and even for pickles. They grow long and have a dark green skin.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I grow them every year along with three other varieties. The best of the three is probably Sweet Success as they make earlier and they make a lot. The other two that do fantastic as well are Tasty Jade and Orient Express. They out produce SS after the first few weeks when SS is unbeatable and they make longer slimmer fruits as does Tasty Green. Tasty Green is probably the least productive of the four but it makes some of the longest burp-less cucumbers I have ever picked. I think you will be very happy with them but like all varieties some years are better than others. That is why I try to plant at least a couple of varieties so that if one does poorly maybe one of the others will pick up the slack.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #6
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to do that next season.My garden has improved greatly the last 2 weeks with the warm weather and the 2 good rain showers we had that lasted through the night.This is the first time in a container(6 gallon bucket) for cucumbers.I also have some Scotch Bonnet peppers in 2 other 6 gallon buckets that are doing better the past week.