Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 19, 2011   #1
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Default Bio Bact

I found today a new fertilizer with some microbes. It is called Bio Bact and it is available in Scandinavia through Nelson. This product is made out of byproducts of paper industry and contains humus and some micro organisms. It has some kind of Swedish organic certificate, so it should be OK for organic growers, even it has some industrial byproducts in it. NPK is 2.7-0.4-2.7 and it has also magnsium and sulfur.

I can not find any information about what the micros in it are. I have contacted the distributor in Finland to get more information. I have been using MycoGrow soluble and was hoping that this could complement the organisms in it and be good fertilizer to be used with mycos as it is low in phosphorus.

Sari
Old March 20, 2011   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Sari, looks interesting. When you find out what the micro's are please post. Ami
Old March 23, 2011   #3
svalli
Tomatovillian™

The company making Bio Bact sent me a report from a Swedish university about the micro organisms in the product.
It contains:
Fungi: Penicillum brevi-compactum, Aspergillus versicolor
Yeast fungi: Rhodotorula graminis, Saccharomyces kluvyveri
Bacteria: Bacillus sphaericus, Pseudomonas fluorescens, Micrococcus luteus

It says that "All identified species are well known and frequently occurring in fertile soils, where they contribute to transform organic substances to humus. None of the species are hazardous to plants, animals or humans."

Quick googling indicated that the first two bacteria could be benefitial to plants. The fungis are molds and the first one was listed on some plant study to have positive effects on tomato fruit yield.

Sari

I guess this is safe to try with MycoGrow.