Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 25, 2007   #1
johno
Tomatovillian™

Default L. cheesmanii crosses?

Hi, I'm new here at Tomatoville, and enjoying it. I did a search on Cheesman's tomato and didn't come up with much, other than an apparently low opinion of it... Anyway, apologies if this subject has already been discussed and I missed it.

I like the flavor of L. cheesmanii - at least the one that I have. Seems "old-timey" to me. The question is, have any of you made any crosses with this tomato? What were they like? I've never intentionally created a hybrid tomato before, mostly because of space concerns, but I think I'd like to try it with this one and ... the possibilities are endless...
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Initial crosses of L. cheesmanii with L. esculentum and back crosses to esculentum have been done to eliminate much of the cheesmannii characteristics. However, I had chances to select types that more closely resemble cheesmanii (tiny leaves, smaller fruit, growth habit, etc.) and to use them in crosses to heirloom type tomatoes.

Two lines that I have perpetuated through stable lines are TASMANIAN GOLD and CHEESMANIAN GOLD. Both of these have the gold flesh of cheesmanii and the small leaves, but with the addition of woolly foliage. Both of these were used in hybrids this past season.

This is but a few of the breeding projects that are in my 'library' of germplasm.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2007   #3
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner
Two lines that I have perpetuated through stable lines are TASMANIAN GOLD and CHEESMANIAN GOLD. Both of these have the gold flesh of cheesmanii and the small leaves, but with the addition of woolly foliage.
Tom, do you keep a photo record of these results, and if so, would it be possible to post a couple here? It would be so interesting to see how small woolly foliage looks Is it dense or sparse foliage, or somewhere in between?

Patrina
Old February 5, 2007   #4
Tom Wagner

Navigate on these sites; click on the cheesmanii links for some idea of the foliage of my woolly cheesmanii types of tomato lines. Add the fuzz and I think you will get the gist. I think the many tiny leaves with their rather lacy pattern is attractive. The fuzzy (woolly) leaves remind me of Dusty Millers.

http://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/Data/Acc/tax....%20cheesmanii

http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/Tomato/ecomplx.html#3tom

I have not taken a lot of pictures of my breeding work over the years. Mostly prints and a few slides from my now 40 yr. old Pentax. Never used much, due to lack of batteries. The wife recently bought an inexpensive digital camera, but refuses to allow me to use it; afraid I'll get the case dirty or something! She is afraid I'll take a picture of her also. I wouldn't know how to upload images anyway.

Tom
Old February 5, 2007   #5
Patrina_Pepperina

Thanks for those links Tom - very interesting to see woolly fruit!!

I followed some of the links on the pages and found this:
http://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/images/1238-...4-Loja-low.jpg

Do these fruits have thin husks that are splitting, or am I seeing things? It looks like they are shedding the woolly outer skin because the darker patches look smooth and shiny.

Patrina
Old February 5, 2007   #6
Tom Wagner

Quote:
Do these fruits have thin husks that are splitting, or am I seeing things? It looks like they are shedding the woolly outer skin because the darker patches look smooth and shiny.
That's not cracking, it is just the dapple/stripes that you might see on some of the wild species.

I added woolly genes such as carried by my Elberta Girl to the Cheesmanii-esculentum backcrosses. So if I could get a good resolution photo of my lines, you would see very woolly gold fruits and silver leaves and stems. The lines I have would look similar to the LA0258 collection as Keith points out.
Old February 5, 2007   #7
Patrina_Pepperina

Tom, is there such a thing as woolly blossoms too? I would love to be able to deter thrips! My season has been ruined this year because of the TSWV they spread

Keith, that woolly dwarf is really neat! It would be great to get that woolly gene into the dwarf project somewhere.

Patrina
Old April 19, 2007   #8
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Cheesmanii, in the tests I've seen, were high in Brix, much more Brix than many of the popular varieties we all know & grow & love.

I posted this in another thread but here's something from cheesmanii, "Nipples" that I tried working with:

Some of you can probably tell what the male parent is, it's also often very high Brix but not to everyone's liking.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote