Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 3, 2006   #1
mountain homestead
Tomatovillian™

Default storm in kc last nite

it wasn't the rain so much (only 1" in kearney) but the winds were awful. I had two big boy plants 8ft tall and caged that were only staked on onside because i forgot and by the time I remembered to stake the other side I couldn't because of the jungled mass caused by my planting the rows a little too close. First five minutes of round one took down one plant. I set it back up straight only for it to faLL again in round two. I think they said we had 48 mph gusts. SEcond time I just left it though because it was blocking the other plant from toppling. On inspection this morning though it looks relatively unharmed. No tom's fell off and i've got my fingers crossed. My pepper plants look like they are praying to the rising sun and I am a little apprehensive about manhandling them back straight. Guess I'll just wait and hope they stop praying and straighten up.
HOw did you other Kansas Citians fare? I hope as well if not better.
mountain homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2006   #2
mountain homestead
Tomatovillian™

wow. I am sooo glad that you stopped to buckle up. That was too close!!
Off topic and long story short my best friend was driving my jeep rolled it and got ejected, if he would've buckled up he'd probably be here. So I always buckle up before I even put the keys in.
Just glad to hear you are safe!!!
mountain homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2006   #3
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

We had a bad storm come through here on Tuesday. It was like a wall of water suddenly hit---you could see it coming. We had wind gusts of 60mph and tons of rain. I've been through a couple of hurricanes when I lived in Puerto Rico, but I never expected to see something like that here. The good thing was that the storm was fast moving and it only lasted about 10 minutes. Most of my garden seems to be Ok, but I have to re-stake and tie up everything and some pepper plants that were fine before the storm now need to be staked. Hopefully the roots weren't damaged. Its definately a jungle out there now!!! We also lost a bunch of shingles and lots were peeled up. We were safe though, and we didn't loose electriciy or phone in our part of town.

Take care,
Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote