Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2006   #1
kaseyi
Tomatovillian™

Default Lucky Find

Last year was the 1st year I tried Cherokee Purple...and it became my favorite tomato. Unfortunatly, I did not save any seeds from the tomatoes I got. I also did not order any since I forgot I needed to get some seeds for this (I save my seeds normally, so I don't normally buy new ones) No problem I thought. When time came to plant, I would just buy it again from where I bought my plants last year, so I started the seeds that I had and planned on buying the CP's in May when I plant. Well, I planted my tomatoes this week and went out looking for the CP's. The garden center where I bought them from last year told me they ordered a bunch of Heirlooms, and CP's were available, but they decided to go with different Heirlooms this year and didn't order any CP's. I called up about 4 other centers, no CP's (3 of the 4 didn't even carry heirlooms). I knew of another garden center a few miles away, so I went there. No luck there (no heirlooms at all). Dejected, I went home. I saw a tent in the parking lot of the local Jewels Grocery store. While I felt that they probably didnt have anything, I thought I would give it a shot. Well...what do I see, but a whole wall of Heirlooms. I bought my 3 CP's (only $2.00 a plant, 1/2 what I paid for them last year at the garden center!) and I now feel real good. These plants will soon be in my garden along with my 1 sweet 100 cherry (from leftover seeds I had gotten from my sister), my 5 polish (not any ones bought from catalogs but ones my family has been saving seed from since the early 80's), my 4 Mexico (seeds saved from the huge tomato you see in my avitar) and an unknown big tomato that I saved the seed from a few years back (I just labeled the envelope Big tomato) and 1 rutgers that I got from some old seeds that I found and thought I would see what happens when I started them)

Kasey
kaseyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006   #2
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Hey Hey !!! Kasey Jones...)))

Beautiful story....a song entered my mind..." You caint...always GET...what you waaant...
But if ya TRY sometimes....ya jus Might FIND....
Ya get what ya neeeed"....)))

Hope they all do Great for ya....an them CP's go to TOWN...)))
Old May 24, 2006   #3
Organic_Nut
Tomatovillian™

I have some cp for the first time this year. I am excited about them.

I can never find plants for only $2. around here $3 is the minimum price anyone will sell them. although with luck a few strains can be found in 6 packs for the same $3. weird. I pay $3 for 1 plant or $3 for 6. but all the good ones they only sell as singles.
Organic_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2006   #4
kaseyi
Tomatovillian™

Well...I thought I would bring this back. It's now August, and I have found out these Cherokee Purples that I thought I was so lucky to find back in May are not Cherokee Purples after all. They are producing Pinkish red tomatoes about the size of a tennis ball. Oh well..I guess you get what you pay for. At least the tomatos taste pretty good (is there a bad tasting home grown tomato? :wink: ) and there are a lot of them.

Kasey
kaseyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2006   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Kasey-if you send me your mailing address, I will send you seed for CP so that you will have it for next year. Michael