Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 29, 2006   #16
greggf
Tomatovillian™

Hi Cecil!

Just got our first ones here, too. Sungold (for my wife), SuperSweet 100, and 4th of July.

The 4th of July taste okay, but have leathery skin. Awful. The Sungolds are cracking*cracking*cracking, and taste watery. The SuperSweet 100s taste better, but not much, and are also cracking, but not as much.

I'm growing two big, beautiful Big Girls, I think (but can't remember) because you thought they were pretty good last season? The plants and fruits look great, but they'll be awhile.

Gregg Fedchak
greggf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2006   #17
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Cecil, I purchased my Black Cherry seed from TGS. I'm hoping they will get better. But then, again, I'm not sure if my tomatoes lack flavor due to my soil conditions or something else I'm doing wrong. Someone told me to wait until they fall from the vine and that is when they would be fully ripe (so long as they don't split first!) I really wanted to like Black Cherry, just for the color, but I'm very happy with Sungold and Sweet Million. I've only had one Riesentraube so far. My Green Grapes are still not ripe. Pink Ping Pong, which a neighbor took and planted in her garden, is barren.
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2006   #18
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Hi Cecil,
I'm new to this site. I am also in SW PA. What do you think of First Lady? I'm considering it for next year. By the way, my Better Boys are short and whimpy as well.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2006   #19
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatovator
What do you think of First Lady? I'm considering it for next year. By the way, my Better Boys are short and whimpy as well.
I just love First Lady. It has a big tomato taste, unlike most of the earlies. It's not so dense of a plant, but puts out a lot. Did well in the heat this year and did well last year.

Strange about Better Boy. My Julbilees did the same thing, odd.

I got my first Lemon Boy tonight and my first Better Boy (Big Plant I bought)

Looks like Rose, Bucks Co and German Queen are all setting in the heat. My Bucks County act completely differant then the Red Brandywine I grew before.

CECIL
Old August 5, 2006   #20
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Cecil, Thanks for the reply on First Lady. I'm considering First Lady II from Johnny's Selected Seeds or Moskvich for my early next year. I also want to try Rose and Buck's County. I only put in 6 plants this year. So far I've picked 7 Early Girls and 4 Big Beefs. I will pick a Big Beef today or tomorrow that looks to be well over a pound. The biggest ripe one so far being 14 oz. By the way how does Big Girl do around here. As I mentioned earlier I'm not impresses so far with Better Boy.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2006   #21
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Hello from Oakland, CA!

Here's what I've been picking, so far:

1. Early Girl (of course). Reliable and good flavor.

2. Sugar Lump (cherry). This is the one from the (now defunct) Northrup King Lawn & Garden, the "consumer" arm of the old Northrup King (NK was bought out by Sygenta in the 1990s, 1993 or 1996, I think). Long trussses of beautiful red cherries, fruit may have more than two seed locules (I counted four on one) so this is the real one I remember. Wonderful sweet full-bodied flavor.

3. Sweet Quartz Hybrid. Very pretty elongated large pink cherries with a bland, watery sweet taste that does not improve with continued holding on the vine.

4. Sun Gold Hybrid. Nice orange cherries, fruity and sweet, but I like SunSugar Hybrid better.

5. Visitacion Valley. Fruit is red, small-to-medium, about 2 to 2.5 oz. in size, OK fresh but fantastic flavor when cooked. Very reliable producer. Thanks, Carolyn, for the seeds.

6. Stupice. Nice round red fruit, great "big tomato" flavor, productive as always.

Coming up next: Momotaro Hybrid and Del Mar, almost ripe.

Many more to come, and I hope to be able to bring these and others to the NORCATT tasting on August 26.

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote