Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 31, 2006   #1
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Default Vince Sapp of TGS Died Unexpectedly

I had to decide whether to post this here or in Conversations, but since it's about tomatoes and since the most folks post here I decided to post it here.

I called Linda this AM to see how things were going and to see how their new subcontractor was doing with seed production and what the new varieties for 2007 might be.

Linda didn't sound quite right when she answered and she then told me that Vince had died of a massive heart attack on July 17th. He was at his office about 20 min away from the TGS office and had called her and asked her to drive over b'c he wasn't feeling well, and she offered to call 911 but he said no, and he wouldn't either.

By the time she got there he had passed on.

There were no warning symptoms, nothing to indicate he had heart problems.

So we spent a long time talking about lots of things relating to this sad event.

Linda will continue to run TGS, that's the first message I wish to pass on to all of you who have been previous customers and possible new ones. Many of you know TGS well and the great reputation they have had over the 20 years they have been in business.

I offered my help in any way that I could help and Linda greatfully accepted that offer, when and if needed. Linda and I have known each other now for about 15-16 years and so talking about this was an OK thing for both of us.

If any of you wish to express your condolences and/or offer encouragement for the continuation of TGS, which is her current plan, Linda can be reached at:

Linda@tomatogrowers.com

At this very difficult time I would not expect her to answer any messages sent to this e-mail address, which is not the one used for orders.

I just felt that since so many of you do order seeds from TGS and have for many years, that you'd be interested to know of this very recent sad event re Vince, as well as knowing that Linda plans to continue.

Thanks,

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Very very sobering, sad news. Thanks for letting us know, Carolyn. Linda will be in our prayers - what she and Vince created is an incredible service - and only Linda can decide if she will have the will to go forward with no interruptions at this time. It is also just another reminder to all of us to make each moment of each day count as best we can.
Old July 31, 2006   #3
moucheur
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for mentioning this. Prayers for Vince, Linda and family. I love the TGS catalog and have had good experience buying from them.
moucheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2006   #4
billbird2111
Tomatovillian™

This is just a sad story.

As someone who is living with a piece of metal in his chest (stent), the advice here is NEVER ignore a warning sign and call an ambulance IMMEDIATELY.

It's better for it to be a false call than the real thing.

I have a history of heart disease in my family. I have been on three ambulance trips since the initial Angioplasty. In all three cases, it was a false call. My heart was fine.

Still, it's better to be safe than sorry. Do not subscribe to the belief that you do not want to "impose" upon anyone. The heart is one muscle you cannot live without.

My sincere apologies to this family. I have lost my mother, an aunt and several uncles to heart attacks. Heart disease runs in our family. In some cases there truly is "no warning."