Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 2, 2006   #1
hedwarr
Tomatovillian™

Default strong storms

My plants are doing great!. I really went all out this year. I have AGG, Bloody Butcher, Carbon, Kelloggs Breakfast, Brandywine pink, Mortgage lifter, Jagodka, Manitoba, Patio, and Supersweet 100. Problem is, we are expecting severe storms with large, damaging hail tomorrow!! I have no way of protecting my toms!! They are producing beautiffuly and i'm worried that i will come home from work tomorrow to find nothing left. By the way, I have two of each plant now. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have'nt posted in a long while due to massive demand at work. P.S. Why is everyone so angry over at "The other site"?

ED
hedwarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2006   #2
landarc
Tomatovillian™

any time for you to place stakes and tarps up temporarily? how big is the hail expected?

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2006   #3
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Ed, if you are that worried, pick everything showing any color at all and let them ripen inside. You will lose virtually nothing flavorwise. If you are REALLY worried, wear sunglasses, especially polarized, when you pick. That way, you will see mature green tomatoes as if they are blushing that you cannot see with the naked eye. With the sunglasses they will look like they're turning.

Another tip, right after a heavy rain, pick any tomato that has the size and shows any beginnings of cracking. It will ripen off the vine and the crack will expand very little. If the tomato cracked a lot and is green, DON'T PICK IT. It could seal back up and then ripen in a week or so.

It is the same principle as when you get hail. If hail cuts your tomatoes, they can heal if it is green enough. Believe me, you'll know in a couple days. Just use your nose.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2006   #4
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I've found that you have nothing to lose if your GREEN tomatoes get sliced by hail or split by rain to wait and see if they rot.

Of course if they start to, pick them off and dispose of them. You see any blackness ( which is mold forming ) near the split, just get rid of them.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote