Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 25, 2018   #1
sgladstein
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Spots on Leaves. Cannot identify.

I noticed some black spots on the leaves of my Sungold today. It is affecting the older leaves on the plant. The plant otherwise looks healthy. I have been looking at images of disease and I am having trouble identifying the issue. It looks similar to bacterial spot or maybe tomato spotted wilt virus, but still pretty different from the images that I have seen. Can anyone help me identify this issue? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180524_184344.jpg (251.7 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180525_082226.jpg (243.1 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180524_184350.jpg (215.8 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180525_082211.jpg (240.9 KB, 222 views)
sgladstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #2
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Looks like bacterial spot to me. But i am no expert. I would spray immediately with a liquid copper and follow up in a few days with daconil.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #3
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

TSWV would show more spots, plus the plant would be stunted, with some weird leaf curl, along with purple-bronze.

Blow on flowers (any flowers) and wait a few seconds, thrips usually come out and investigate when a large mammal threatens to eat them.

As suggested above, give it some Cooper and see how it does.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Bacterial spot, or Septoria. Like the others said liquid copper fungicide at 1/2 of the weakest recommended strength will do the trick with both bacteria and fungi.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if it could be pest damage. The lighter spots look like thrips or other tiny pests feeding history to me.. the dark spots could be the oldest feeding areas that are necrotic after being sucked dry. One of your pics the dark parts look sunken as in tissue is collapsed and gone.

Mind you I am no expert in disease either, could be something I've never seen.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #6
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I have a similar issue on two of my plants, looks similar to yours but more spots. Marsha- these are better pictures of what's going on. I did treat with copper today so I hope they make it! I saw no evidence of thrips on any of my plants....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TSWV 1.jpg (130.8 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg TSWV2.jpg (107.2 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg TSWV 3.jpg (133.5 KB, 190 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #7
sgladstein
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice! I sprayed with copper tonight. I will let you know how it goes. I am worried this is because I have a smallish garden right up against a building, so I cannot really rotate the location of my tomatoes.
sgladstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #8
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Spartanburg, yours are not similar since they are on the younger leaves. Yours are actually quite suspicious of TSWV, but I think you are more familiar with that disease then me.

To OP: I am almost certain it's not septoria, I can't really say about bacterial though, I haven't seen any 'live'. Disease symptoms can differ on certain type of tomato leaf types compared to the standard. My first impression was deficiency. Are the older leaves equally affected or are the ones exposed to the sun mostly?
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #9
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

@spartanburg: Cheetarah + curling + sudden onset = tswv.

I've seen some extremely susceptible plants like yours, and others that can handle it.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

If it is a young plant with TSWV which it appears to be then it will not survive long. If it stops growing vigorously and new growth starts looking stunted and discolored over the next week or so then you might as well pull it and replace it. If on the other hand it keeps setting new fruit and growing just let it continue. I have had large healthy plants continue producing for quite a while after getting TSWV; but not often.
Good luck.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #11
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Neither one of those are Septoria in my opinion. Spartanburg's is definitely not Septoria. Septoria is the only leaf disease I get so I am familiar with that one.

My cure for Septoria is pair of scissors and some sunshine. Never lost a plant to Septoria and never sprayed for it. That may or may not work with other leaf disease.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
I have a similar issue on two of my plants, looks similar to yours but more spots. Marsha- these are better pictures of what's going on. I did treat with copper today so I hope they make it! I saw no evidence of thrips on any of my plants....
Much better picture. Not Septoria. Septoria has yellowing around the spots, so does bacterial.This is almost definitely TSWV. I am so sorry.

If I was you, I would put out some yellow sticky traps right at transplant, every 5 feet.Thrips are very attracted to the yellow.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Much better picture. Not Septoria. Septoria has yellowing around the spots, so does bacterial.This is almost definitely TSWV. I am so sorry.

If I was you, I would put out some yellow sticky traps right at transplant, every 5 feet.Thrips are very attracted to the yellow.
With years of experience with TSWV I can say that the thrips do tend to attack the lighter more yellow/green plants than the dark green ones. That being said they will still get any tomato plant just that they seem partial to the lighter shaded foliage on some or possibly those varieties are more susceptible.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #14
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Thanks folks- that’s a shame. Both plants are beautiful and have set numerous fruit. I will pull the when I return. I lost two last year, and they happened to be in the same spots!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #15
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Ugghhhh!!!!!! What a shame !
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote