Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2017   #76
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

This is, the potato-leaf medium red slicer the tomato world has been searching for.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #77
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Oh wow those are some great pictures Barb. My MSE plants are ready to plant and look great. This looks like the perfect red tomato for my customers. They like the medium size better than big'uns.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #78
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Sherry loves doing the crosses, she is like a kid in a candy shop when playing in the tomato patch.
It's true!
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #79
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
It's true!
Not only fun, but you do a great job!
Old April 3, 2017   #80
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Not only fun, but you do a great job!
Thank you. It really is a lot of fun.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #81
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I've got Mat-Su Express F6 plant 11 seed sowed last night, only had room for 1 so went with plant 11 seed. Excited to try these!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #82
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I have 4 #11 and 1 of the other (i keep forgetting the number...40 sumthin?) so 5 MSE for my first trial. I swear this year most of my plants to grow are PL.
Old April 3, 2017   #83
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Three of the Super B and three of Plant #11 got planted in my high tunnel today.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #84
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Looks like you growbag guys were ahead of the curve. http://vegetablegrowersnews.com/arti...preserve-soil/
Old April 5, 2017   #85
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

An excellent article. Note the simplicity of the mix, "Potting soil was a peat/perlite blend". Composted material is a waste of time in containers. The nutrient retaining ability will be exhausted quickly and you're left with the downside issues of being a prime host media for disease transmission and reduced porosity.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #86
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The hanging buckets in the high tunnel are a good way to increase usage of the space. My high tunnel is too rickety to hold the weight, though. But if a person had one of the more expensive kits, it should be ok.

I started only leaving the plastic on my tunnel from April through about early July or so. I think it's a lot healthier for the soil to be exposed to the weather.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #87
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Since we are on the subject I just talked to my NRCS guy and he said I'd prolly be approved about a year for now for a HT. He said new farmers cap has increased to around 15k for an approved structure/structures. I am trying to think of the best way to go about it. I want to do something similar to that pic myself where I can grow plants for sale but still obey guidelines of producing a eatable crop. They wont cover the cost of fans/heaters but I'd really like to have a heated HT for early heirloom tomatoes. Nobody here does that so I'd have 100% of the market. AKmark and the rest of you guys, what size should I start with that will be economical to heat and I would be able to manage on a part-time basis? Or should I just quit my real job and focus on my business if I can get 15k worth of HT's? I feel like I'm getting closer to saying blank it and jumping off the cliff in another year or 2.
Old April 5, 2017   #88
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
AKmark and the rest of you guys, what size should I start with that will be economical to heat and I would be able to manage on a part-time basis? Or should I just quit my real job and focus on my business if I can get 15k worth of HT's? I feel like I'm getting closer to saying blank it and jumping off the cliff in another year or 2.
That is a good question. I would certainly use one that you can afford to heat as early as is reasonable. You keep your plants in there until you can plant them elsewhere, cram it so full of starts the seams burst. Then you roll out huge starts, and should also have some producing plants going in it too. I start one up, then another, then another, on and on and on. Get it?
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #89
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
That is a good question. I would certainly use one that you can afford to heat as early as is reasonable. You keep your plants in there until you can plant them elsewhere, cram it so full of starts the seams burst. Then you roll out huge starts, and should also have some producing plants going in it too. I start one up, then another, then another, on and on and on. Get it?
Thanks Mark, Yeah I get that I need to maximize profit per sq ft. How big is your earliest tunnel? I could always try the wood stove heating like you. Here it really only gets cold a handful of days in March, and Feb was actually warmer than March here this year so I wouldn't need to heat it all the time anyway.

How much earlier do you like to get to market than the majority of typical growers? A month? 2 months? I know I ask a lot of questions and I will learn all this over time I'm sure but I really do look at you as the model to copy Mark.
Old April 5, 2017   #90
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

nice pic of you and the mrs., mark. happy trails.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote