Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 29, 2017   #61
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Great pic! I am looking forward to my next crop.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #62
charley
Tomatovillian™

Depending on how it does for salt I can grow a whole bunch of them this fall but if it don't do good for salt I don't see the point because most brandywine's don't do good for me in this Texas Heat. So you want a selection of earliness I was just wondering are they indeterminate or determinate plants? Has anyone else from Texas grown them?
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #63
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
Depending on how it does for salt I can grow a whole bunch of them this fall but if it don't do good for salt I don't see the point because most brandywine's don't do good for me in this Texas Heat. So you want a selection of earliness I was just wondering are they indeterminate or determinate plants? Has anyone else from Texas grown them?
Barb, how big is the fruit you are getting? Great pics of the fruit, glad they are working out.

Charley, I would like to see if they can handle the heat in Texas. I f you start them early, they should be good for a harvest before the Texas summer heat gets too bad.

They are smaller, but much earlier than BW, and more prolific, great yields. We also have not got cracked fruit on them. They are sweetish, but their charm is the tomato flavor.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #64
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default The name

We live between the Matanuska and Susitna Valleys, Mat-Su Valley. The Matanuska Valley behind the wife and I. (Ignore my shirt) and looking out of Sheep Creek Valley to the Susitna Valley with Denali in the Back ground. Anyway... The name. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1482.JPG (344.1 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1545.JPG (353.6 KB, 242 views)
Old April 1, 2017   #65
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

So Denali isn't actually a myth after all? Lol. Just kidding, we were there for a visit about 10 years ago, Alaska is my favorite place on earth for scenery. You and your wife are such a good looking, fit looking couple, living in Shangri-la. Life is good.

I am very excited to try the MSE, and as a happy coincidence, that's also my Initials! I still have tomatoes producing but I am already antsy for late August.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #66
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Just looked at the pictures today and that is a really impressive looking tomato and plants.I think the only tomato I have grown with that amount of big tomatoes on trusses was Big Beef.Thin skin, red, sweet with real tomato taste.Sounds like a winner that will be around for a long time.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #67
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful shot of you two and the Mat-Su valley!

I wondered about the name and silly me somehow got Sherry mixed up with Sue in Anchorage AK so I thought it might be a combo of Mark and Sue express!

Must be old age brain cells not kicking in, because you've always mentioned Sherry as your collaborator!

Can't wait to try your creation this summer, all four seeds are up and growing.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #68
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
We live between the Matanuska and Susitna Valleys, Mat-Su Valley. The Matanuska Valley behind the wife and I. (Ignore my shirt) and looking out of Sheep Creek Valley to the Susitna Valley with Denali in the Back ground. Anyway... The name. LOL
Sheeeesh Mark, you guys just "had" to be good looking too. . My 3 Matsu Express are bigger and purtier than all the other seedlings . Can't wait till you start cranking out pics of your operation this year. Alaska is amazing! Hope to see it someday. Best of luck! . Jimbo .
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #69
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

I have several tomatoes growing on all three plants. I am really looking forward to trying this one.
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #70
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Even More Matsu Pictures

Mark - Thanks for the name explanation; Great pic of you and your wife!

Fruit size for me is 6-8 oz; although the one I shared with my neighbor was significantly larger - probably 11 oz. What size are they for you, Mark, Cole_Robbie?

I've picked over 100 fruits already.

I have been vigilant picking them before totally ripe (b/c of birds) and a mockingbird swooped down and pecked at one. I shouted at the bird and by the time I got my clippers, he got another one. Was so ★★★★ed; now the birds have found the Esterinas.

Here's the pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matsu 6 oz.jpg (245.1 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Unripe Matsu 8 oz.jpg (257.6 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg Matsu Group 8 oz.jpg (197.1 KB, 218 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #71
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
So Denali isn't actually a myth after all? Lol. Just kidding, we were there for a visit about 10 years ago, Alaska is my favorite place on earth for scenery. You and your wife are such a good looking, fit looking couple, living in Shangri-la. Life is good.

I am very excited to try the MSE, and as a happy coincidence, that's also my Initials! I still have tomatoes producing but I am already antsy for late August.
MSE, it must be mean't to be. LOL I think you will like it.

Barb, you are on a roll down there, nice pics. I found that mine were in the 8 OZ range too, I found if I pinch a few flowers off the fruit size increases a bit too. The biggest I produced was 1.13LBS, but the average is the same as yours. In one month I will have some fresh MSE too.

Jimbo, they are vigorous, and do produce well.

DDsack, Sherry loves doing the crosses, she is like a kid in a candy shop when playing in the tomato patch.

Last edited by AKmark; April 1, 2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old April 1, 2017   #72
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Too late for this season , but gotta grow Mat-Su Express the next time, if I can get the seeds.
Never been to Alaska but least I can do is to grow an Alaskan bred tomato.

Why grow some that I cannot even pronounce and spell the name.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #73
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Too late for this season , but gotta grow Mat-Su Express the next time, if I can get the seeds.
Never been to Alaska but least I can do is to grow an Alaskan bred tomato.

Why grow some that I cannot even pronounce and spell the name.
There is now several sources of seed. LOL I can send you some too, you could even do a fall crop in your area.
I am with you on trying to pronounce some of those names, I just wing it. LOL
Old April 1, 2017   #74
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Barb, those last photos are killing me! Great looking fruit -- how many currently producing Mat-Su Express plants do you have there?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #75
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
There is now several sources of seed. LOL I can send you some too, you could even do a fall crop in your area.
I am with you on trying to pronounce some of those names, I just wing it. LOL
Thanks Mark : Yeah, Fall crop sounds good. Plenty of time.
I will ask you or Cole when when we get close to fall planting. Right now I am kinda tired of germinating seeds. Have been doing since Jan 19.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote