Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 17, 2022   #1
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Default Black spots on newer growth

I noticed black spots on two of my 30 plants and the leaves were crumbling, the damage was on new growth near the top. Does anybody know what this is and how to treat it. Not sure how many plants may have it. Do not know if I should start removing the affected plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leaf spots 1.jpg (82.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg leaf damage.jpg (71.2 KB, 150 views)
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2022   #2
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I have very little experience with tomato disease. I have Septoria which my plants always outgrow and it usually is just on the bottom leaves. I lost a few plants to Bacterial Rot Or Timber Rot one season when it rained a lot.

I hope someone else with more experience with disease answers your post. Years ago I had one plant that disease affected the new growth and I ended up pulling that plant. I waited a while but it did not get better. Since it is early and hopefully you have spare plants you might consider this.

Good Luck whatever you decide
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2022   #3
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I have very little experience with tomato disease. I have Septoria which my plants always outgrow and it usually is just on the bottom leaves. I lost a few plants to Bacterial Rot Or Timber Rot one season when it rained a lot.

I hope someone else with more experience with disease answers your post. Years ago I had one plant that disease affected the new growth and I ended up pulling that plant. I waited a while but it did not get better. Since it is early and hopefully you have spare plants you might consider this.

Good Luck whatever you decide
I saw more black spots and damage to one of the plants so I pulled that plant, I am hoping the problem is with just the one plant.
Old May 20, 2022   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

This Has the appearance of bacterial disease. Bacterial spot I think. A difficult situation I’m afraid.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2022   #5
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

That could be it KarenO
Doing the research to help out, I learned that the first bacterial disease ever discovered was anthrax caused by Bacillus anthraces of cattle and sheep in 1876. We got History of this problem. Thats why I miss Dr. Carolyn "she had all the answers", Amen!!

This plant bacterial diseases can be grouped into four broad categories based on the extent of damage to plant tissue and the symptoms that they cause, which may include vascular wilt, necrosis, soft rot, and tumors. Vascular wilt results from the bacterial invasion of the plant's vascular system.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2022   #6
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

So far it is just one plant and I removed it, hoping that it is not more than one plant.
Old May 25, 2022   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My guess would be TSWV. It has been terrible here this year. The first symptom is a plant that just isn't growing as large and healthy looking as its' neighbors followed by rust looking areas or spots on leaves near the top just below the new growth. The final nail in the coffin is seeing the shriveling and spots in the new growth which usually leads to the eventual death of the plant.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2022   #8
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
My guess would be TSWV. It has been terrible here this year. The first symptom is a plant that just isn't growing as large and healthy looking as its' neighbors followed by rust looking areas or spots on leaves near the top just below the new growth. The final nail in the coffin is seeing the shriveling and spots in the new growth which usually leads to the eventual death of the plant.

Bill
I removed the plant and have not seen any of the same signs with the other 30 plants. I guess if I understand TSWV, it does not spread to other plants which is a good thing.
Old May 27, 2022   #9
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rumor View Post
I removed the plant and have not seen any of the same signs with the other 30 plants. I guess if I understand TSWV, it does not spread to other plants which is a good thing.

Glad to hear you haven't seen anymore recurrences.
I would caution about the idea it does not spread to other plants though.
Thrips are the primary vector for the disease.

If they move from an infected plant to a non-infected plant they can spread it.... so the best remedy I've found is immediate removal of the infected plant upon first diagnosis.

Good luck!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2022   #10
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Glad to hear you haven't seen anymore recurrences.
I would caution about the idea it does not spread to other plants though.
Thrips are the primary vector for the disease.

If they move from an infected plant to a non-infected plant they can spread it.... so the best remedy I've found is immediate removal of the infected plant upon first diagnosis.

Good luck!

Lee
Good Advice, I remove any plants that are infected with an obvious disease.