Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 10, 2011   #61
frozengirl
Tomatovillian™

Not True. Just checked. Flat and pointy in clusters of four.
frozengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2011   #62
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

This is wild! I will actually have the correct seed for next season courtesy of Michael. We can grow the crazy one along with the real deal!
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2011   #63
frozengirl
Tomatovillian™

MMMMMMMMMMM........................ I just went and checked the Orange tree. Pointy and flat in clusters of four. I had intended to compare them this summer but I grew them in different situations Perhaps we can track back the original seed.
frozengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2011   #64
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I just looked up Orange Tree on Tania's site and it's listed as a late one. Utyonok is definitely not late for me. One of the first to ripen here, and this year I think it was the very first. Are you thinking they're the same?

Last edited by Sherry_AK; September 10, 2011 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Tania lists it as a 'midseason' but for me 80-90 days is late!
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2011   #65
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to compare next year as everything was "late" for me this year. I was wondering why my Utyonok wasn't ripening like yours did Sherry. I also looked at the Orange Tree pic on Tania's site and my fruit does look similar to those. Container Ted, did you grow Orange Tree? If so, did you grow it the same time as Utyonok?
Sue B
Old September 10, 2011   #66
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

No, I did not. I'll be growing Utyonok next season in a container up here at the house.

And, Sue, I checked my records and they show that I sent you Utyonok seeds in 2009. Sherry's pictures of the super-loaded plants are exactly like I remember my plants were. I've put a comparison pix below from my 2009 container garden. I don't recall any "pointy ends". The fruit in my picture in the upper right still has the bloom on its bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Utyonok2.JPG (80.8 KB, 84 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2011   #67
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

My plant was different Ted...the leaves did not look like yours at all. You can see my plant in one of these posts. I am not concerned about this only curious. I will taste the fruit as soon as it ripens. This may be a "new" discovery!
Sue
Old September 10, 2011   #68
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I received seeds a few years back, don't know who from. I grew them this year. The plants were dwarf with the foliage that showed leaf curl even at the seedling stage. you could pick them out of the seedlings very easily. I do keep my seedling watering to am minimum to prevent damping off. When I planted them up into their larger pots, they showed the leaf curl unless I really really watered them well. The fruit varied from round to sort of heart shaped. They almost all had a pointy tip. Some tips were more pronounced than others. They were early for me. Here's a pic of the fruit from the tomato party. Sorry about the spelling. For the life of me I couldn't remember the name! I called them Uts all season. http://www.flickr.com/photos/6688467...in/photostream

Here's the link to Orange Tree on Tatiana's http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Orange_Tree It does seem to be the same tomato.

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2011   #69
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

I grew Orange Tree this year and the fruit does look very much like Remy's pictures of her Utyonok. Remy, did you also find the the blossoms on the plant were a darker, oranger color than many tomato blossoms? My Orange Tree blossoms were almost the exact color of Stella d'Oro daylilies.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2011   #70
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

But the leaves on my Orange Tree are VERY rugose. There is no drooping and they are small and very tight to the stem.
Old September 10, 2011   #71
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by delltraveller View Post
I grew Orange Tree this year and the fruit does look very much like Remy's pictures of her Utyonok. Remy, did you also find the the blossoms on the plant were a darker, oranger color than many tomato blossoms? My Orange Tree blossoms were almost the exact color of Stella d'Oro daylilies.
Did you find Orange Tree to be early, mid, late?
Old September 10, 2011   #72
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I understand, Sue. Just wanted to add data to the conversation. BTW, my seed source was Andrey. Also, I grew mine in a fairly shaded area. It was medium early for me - not THE earliest, but earlier than most. And, they finished off by changing from a beautiful yellow to a gorgeous light "Tennessee" orange.

Are we all talking about the same plants here?????
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2011   #73
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I am confused as usual but yes, we were talking about Utyonok being so "different" in our growouts. I used your seed in 2010 and I used Sherry's seed this year. Somewhere, we ended up with plants not quite matching the Utyonok that Andrey sent to Michael, the one with the pointy ends. My fruits this year look like the Orange Tree fruit but no one grew that so who knows. I'm done talking about it now.
Sue B.
Old September 11, 2011   #74
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
Did you find Orange Tree to be early, mid, late?
It's been a weird year here, so I don't know how to gauge it for sure. Orange Tree ripened about the same time Golden Bison for me, in this odd year. It went out about the fourth week of May and gave it's first ripe fruit on August 12th. It's given me 17 fruits so far and I think it has at least 3 left on it. Size ranged from 2 1/2 oz to 5 oz.
Old September 11, 2011   #75
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, delltraveller. If it ripened same as Golden Bison, it's probably fairly early then.