Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old December 13, 2015   #61
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I was referring to the spelling of Big Cheef.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2015   #62
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Really these are average tasting, and very small, but folks around here go nuts for them. I grew them for the seeds, our garden's annual plant sale- we can sell 60 of them in 2 days. Whats the lure?- they grow wild here in the Everglades, and they set fruit in the heat.
They (Everglades) look good Marsha. I plan on growing some Wild tomatoes in our fall garden next year. This is one I don't have seeds for yet. I asked for Texas Wild in the MMMM, I have seeds for Matt's that I saved from selected plants. I grew 4 Matt's wild. Two plants produced currant size tomatoes and two other plants produced small cherry size tomatoes. The taste was exactly the same - very good. I saved seeds only from the larger tomatoes.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2015   #63
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
They (Everglades) look good Marsha. I plan on growing some Wild tomatoes in our fall garden next year. This is one I don't have seeds for yet. I asked for Texas Wild in the MMMM, I have seeds for Matt's that I saved from selected plants. I grew 4 Matt's wild. Two plants produced currant size tomatoes and two other plants produced small cherry size tomatoes. The taste was exactly the same - very good. I saved seeds only from the larger tomatoes.
Robert, I will be offering seeds for it in January. You are welcome to some. Seeds it has!
Old December 13, 2015   #64
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

seeds and juice all over the place.
K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2015   #65
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
seeds and juice all over the place.
K
You bite em and they squirt!
Old December 13, 2015   #66
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Robert, I will be offering seeds for it in January. You are welcome to some. Seeds it has!
And here's what I think is most exciting about Everglades

First, Tania'spagefor it

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/T...b=General_Info

His name is Ted Darnowski and he and his daughter drove to a nearby nursery to buy some Everglade plants. Ted is quite old, just to say that first.

He got them home and I think planted three and one of them gave PINK fruits. I saw where he posted this at Dave's Garden and ASAP asked if he could send me some seeds.

He said he didn't know how to save seeds but could send me some fruits. I told him how to do that and there they were already smushed, but with lots of seeds which I processed.

I was excited b'c the only other person with apink current was Tim at Peters Seed and Research which he bred and making this short, he was pushed out of business andlost everything.

And I confirmed it was pink with a clear epidermis.

Nancy Ruhl spends winters in FL as well, saw what I did and also requested some fruits. I think she also sent some to others but also sent me a huge bag of seeds. Which was good b'c I offered it in several seed offers as well as SSE listing it

I saw in Tania's above page for it that she will be offering it for 2016 and cited me as her seed source. I don't remember her askingme for it but I'm glad I sent her seeds

I think Glenn Drowna was also offering it but right now I don't see his 2015 catalog near me and too dangerous to go pawing in my stacks of SSE YEarbooks and no time to go to the Sandhill Preservation website and look.

Carolyn
Old December 15, 2015   #67
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default BIG CHEEF

Shown here is only half of this boat shaped very large very meaty fruit, because I started saving seeds, then remembered. Medium thin skin, complex, balanced, black tomato flavor that is on the sweet side. I forgot to weigh it but I think it came in at close to 1 pound. The unique spelling is because it was someone's user name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (131.3 KB, 299 views)
Old December 15, 2015   #68
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default BIG CHEEF

Cut fruit. This will be a grow again due to taste and production, I hope it will be in a less rainy season because everything is getting cracks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (124.8 KB, 295 views)
Old December 18, 2015   #69
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Gail X Everett's Rusty Oxheart F4

Very productive and delicious GWR. Has a yellow blush to know when ripe. On the sweet side, PL, indet. Bred by Jason Haynes. I love this and will grow again. F5 Seeds are being saved, but this may not be stable yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.0 KB, 321 views)
Old December 18, 2015   #70
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Esmeralda Golosina

Another GWR. This is my second year in a row growing it. Complex balanced on the sweet side flavor. 1-2 oz saladette usually in clusters of 4, PL, indeterminate, OP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (171.4 KB, 343 views)
Old December 18, 2015   #71
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default NPSP F1 ?

A cross by Timothy Vincent of (Not Purple Strawberry X Sgt. Peppers F4) F1
We are not sure this cross took because the growth habit, leaf shape, and now the fruit are very much like the mamma, Not Purple Strawberry.
It is very tasty, medium production, thin skin, buttery texture, complex black tomato taste. RL, indet, Seeds will not be available, because if F2, they will not be stable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (164.5 KB, 271 views)
Old December 18, 2015   #72
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Blossom end of NPSP F1 ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (156.3 KB, 266 views)
Old December 18, 2015   #73
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Texas Pink

This pretty little 5-6 oz pink fruit with the speckles has not been tasted yet. In this rainy season, it actually didn't crack, so if it tastes good, I will grow again. Pretty good production in a season where it has been too warm overnight to get many viable blossoms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (157.2 KB, 269 views)
Old December 18, 2015   #74
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Very productive and delicious GWR. Has a yellow blush to know when ripe. On the sweet side, PL, indet. Bred by Jason Hines. I love tis and will grow again. F5 Seeds are being saved, but this may not be stable yet.
Marsha, that would be Jason Haynes, not Hines, aka Tollie, home of Sgt Pepper and Bammer's Luck and Sailer's Luck and so many more.

Carolyn
Old December 18, 2015   #75
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I should grow Big Cheef right beside Big Beef just to confuse our friends and relatives.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote