Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old July 22, 2014   #1
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Default Food Mills best, difference, what do you use?

I'm sure covered before, but we have new users, and such. I was wondering what you like to use as I need one. I have a model in mind. But wondered what you all think?
I was looking at the Eurodib (S3) - Semi-Professional Food Mill. I used one at a friends. Worked pretty good, but have little experience on it and none on others.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I started with a Foley food mill but it took forever. I now have a Victorio and while I have only had two opportunities to use it, it works great and cuts down my processing time quite a bit.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #3
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the victorio is the other I'm considering. It may be better? Different styes of processing. The Eurodib is easy to use, all metal, 2 pieces, you only need one bowl.
Easier to store. The pro model costs $900.00, the semi-pro as low as $62.00, and they look the same.
So I'm undecided. We know the Victorio does the job, but I like the ease of use of the Eurodub. No set up time.

Last edited by drew51; July 22, 2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old July 22, 2014   #4
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

With the victorio, you can get different cones. I have a fine one for seedless jams all the way of to a shorter spiral for grape jams. The coarsest cone is good for making salsas. I don't think the eurodib offers that kind of variety.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #5
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
With the victorio, you can get different cones. I have a fine one for seedless jams all the way of to a shorter spiral for grape jams. The coarsest cone is good for making salsas. I don't think the eurodib offers that kind of variety.
It has three sizes. The only parts besides the tool itself.

Old July 22, 2014   #6
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I love my heavy duty KitchenAid with a large range of attachments for various purposes
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I love my kitchen aid but I find the screens too small for some things. My Vittorio hand mill is much more versatile.
I also bought a hand grain mill, that I haven't even opened, since I love my electric mill far too much. I need to sell it but since I just moved it from AZ I guess it will stay for now.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #8
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I have the Eurodib shown in the picture. I also have a KitchenAid and a super duper one the name escapes me. It can process at least five times as fast as the KitchenAid.

I needed to process a few tomatoes the other day and I used the Eurodib. It is the only one I have which is all stainless..a plus for me when processing acid foods. It is quick and easy for small batches.

The KitchenAid drips oil into my sauce after about 30 minutes of heavy use so I don't use it anymore. If I were going to process a bunch of tomatoes I would use my super duper one. But I don't process big batches any more. I have a lot of tomatoes and the extra ones usually end up rotting on the vine. I make my own marinara sauce from a huge can of puree (128 oz?.....the size of a large coffee can) which I get from Costco for $2.79. My wife told me she didn't marry me to be free labor in a tomato factory.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #9
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I make my own marinara sauce from a huge can of puree (128 oz?.....the size of a large coffee can) which I get from Costco for $2.79.
Do you have a recipe for this? Do you can this stuff? I've never made my own sauce and the thought of doing it from fresh tomatoes is daunting. I did salsa last year and LOVED the product but that said, I'm a little hesitant already about doing it this year coz of the labor involved...
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014   #10
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Marinara/spaghetti sauce that is canned would need to be pressure canned due to the low acid veggies added. Here is a recipe to look at. It has a high tomato to veggie ratio and it says not to change that ratio.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/spaghetti_sauce.html
Old July 23, 2014   #11
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I generally don't use recipies. I used to can but not anymore. Freezing is easier and faster because there are fewer limitations. I freeze in glass pint wide mouth jars.

For the sauce I use a large 128 oz can of S&W calif grown tomato puree which contains no salt. Then add about two pounds of pureed carrots. I buy the small peeled baby carrots when they go on sale for a buck per pound. And a couple of pounds of minced or pureed onion. Some basil and oregano.

I cook the carrot and onion first in a little water in the microwave or a stainless pressure cooker. The tomato doesn't need pre cooking. Mix all together and heat for an hour or so. Then freeze in wide mouth pint and half pint glass jars. One and a half pints of sauce is just right for the pizza I make about once per week

I like to use a lot of carrot and onion because I want a lot of vegetables in the sauce. If I have extra zucchini I'll puree it and throw that in too. And maybe a little paprika to keep the sauce nice and red. A little fresh tomato if you have it but not too much because you don't want a watery sauce. You can run it through the mill if you don't want seeds or skins.

Cooking down my own tomatoes tastes better but it is too much work. The easiest way to do it is overnight in the oven because you don't have to stir.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Luigiwu, you can always just can plain tomato purée which won't require a pressure canner, just a water bath processing. This can then be used to make sauce as you need it. For example, I just add salt and a touch of basil to it if I'm making pizza; a quick sauce with olive oil, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and basil for weeknight dinners; as the base for a slow cooked ragu on winter weekends; and I can use it in any other recipe that calls for crushed tomatoes or tomato purée. Having just plain tomato purée on hand gives you a lot of flexibility.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2014   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

30 minute heirloom tomato sauce:
http://www.settfest.com/2009/06/30-minute-pasta-sauce/

Oven roasted tomato sauce:
http://www.settfest.com/2009/06/oven...-tomato-sauce/

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2014   #14
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I love the roasted tomato sauce. I use my back to basic food mill and then pressure can the sauce. I have used my back to basic food mill for about 5 years now. it has made roasted sauce, applesauce, pear sauce, separate screen for berries and I used 3/4 seeded blackberries to 1/4 crushed berries to make a most awesome blackberry jam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6220.JPG (147.8 KB, 114 views)
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2014   #15
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I use a simple strainer for berries. I use a pestle to mash the pulp in. It even will remove strawberry seeds. I also use it to save seeds as it will catch any seed.
I heat them us to soften first. I'm still liking the Eurodib. It's ready to use, no real assembly except screen, one bowl only, no mounting it on table or counter, very simple. If I had ton's of tomatoes, yes this other style looks better. I have 6 plants that will be used for sauce.