Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 21, 2013   #211
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Fred,
I was all set to order some of the Tigers And Bumble Bees from Johnny's when I noticed that Lucky Tiger will not be available until Jan 20. This makes having seedlings to set out between Feb 15 and March 1 dicey. I have done it before with less than stellar results. I guess I can wait to 2015.

MikeInCypress
Old November 21, 2013   #212
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Hi Mike,

Hopefully they'll have it available before Jan 20!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2013   #213
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I went ahead and placed an order anyhow. If Lucky Tiger grows like Blush I may not have anything to worry about.

MikeInCypress
Old December 4, 2013   #214
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Order trouble at Johnny's

I ordered the collection on Nov. 22, and 2 other regular packs. Got delivery of the regular packs. Since I need the seeds now to start for my mid Jan.2nd grow out, I was disappointed not to get these along with the others. Called today, they said they hadn't received one of the tigers, but what I really wanted was the pink and purple bumble bees, which they do have seeds for. So they said they would ship those out, and the extra charge would be ~$8! I said no, I already paid for this collection, I just want those 2 types from it, not additional extra packages. She said " the amounts of seeds are different. I asked her if they could just take out the amount of seeds I am entitled too, she said " let me see what I can do. I will speak to my manager". They said they will ship out 2 regular sized packets, one of each, for free for the trouble I had to go through in calling etc.
Johnny's is very nice to work with!
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2013   #215
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Glad Johnny's worked it out for you, and not surprised.
Old December 10, 2013   #216
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering if you have any feedback on how your plants fair in hot arid climates. I live in high desert and when that heat starts many tomatoes with the exception of most cherries tend to lack in production. I'm still getting the collection. Just curious what to expect. Thanks.
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2013   #217
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

They seem to be like most cherries and show some resistance to heat. However, I don't think anyone has specifically compared them to other varieties. They do very well in cool weather, and my personal experience with tomatoes in general is that many cool-tolerant tomatoes also are heat-tolerant. Maybe just stress tolerant...
Old December 10, 2013   #218
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

In a hot, humid area, Pink Bumblebee was one of the very few survivors through the summer and up til now (haven't checked since last night's really cold weather), if that helps.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2013   #219
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info! That's good to know.
Old January 6, 2014   #220
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

I finally got my order into Johnny's for Sunrise Bumblebee! I cannot wait! It is my most anticipated tomato- I just loved your avatar. I never ordered from Johnny's before- got a coupon code online for free shipping, and picked up a few other things that looked real interesting too, and some seed starting supplies. I am very excited!
Old January 7, 2014   #221
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

I received my collection yesterday Fred. Can hardly wait until it's time to start seeds.

Pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #222
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

We have just launched a new collaboration with Viridis Aquaponics.
Old February 10, 2014   #223
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I should have looked at the last posts for free shipping. Oh well, I made sure to
make my order under $10. What I really wanted was the large yellow marigolds
at Johnny's and then decided to try one of Fred's new tomato's. I went with
sunrise bumblebee. I then went to their sale area and ordered basil and cucumber
for $1 each, to be just under $10. They charge $4 shipping.

Last year I tried Pink Bumblebee. This year I will be trading for some Purple Bumble-
bee, and will have the Sunrise also. Looking forward to trying them.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #224
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Blush tomato grew at my parents home in one island on the Caribbean. Prolific. Seems to survive the heat well but the tomatoes were smallish compared to my MA garden where they kept pumping tomatoes continuously making many friends happy to get a bunch here in there. I ordered Maglia Rosa to try and see how it is. They would make a great pair.
Old April 16, 2014   #225
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

We have a new kickstarter project.

It is all about our farm's landraces: Rewards include landraces of our tri-lobed squash, our nasturtiums and our Caribbean Seasoning peppers (courtesy of Boutique Tomatoes).

Bonus rewards Roman Mint and Ethiopian (Highland) Kale.

There are only 5 days left. The funding period was only 2 weeks. I am hoping this thing gets funded, because it would be great to be able to sell our landraces at the Artisan Seeds online store.

If you mention you are from Tomatoville, I will also include seeds of two new "gourmet" paste varieties we are set to release next winter. The first will be introduced in September at the National Heirloom Expo, and will be first available next winter from Baker Creek. The release of the second is not yet set, but any backers of our project will get both varieties before they are generally released.