Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 4, 2017   #1
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Default Using Miracle Gro for Seed Germination and/or Seed Starting

I recall reading that Miracle Gro, presumably weakened, helps seed germination and/or seed starting. I have been doing searches on this site and Google searches and cannot find details.

Is anyone familiar with this?

What is the process and dosage?

Thank you.

Last edited by agee12; February 5, 2017 at 01:42 PM.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #2
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

The seed itself contains the necessary nutrients for germination and feeds the embryo until the first true leaves appear. I do not see any benefit to fertilizing until after the first true leaves appear and then I only use a 10% solution.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

1/2 to full power first rattle out of the box once they germinated.
I did the comparisons last year and it made them grow big time faster.
Just be careful how often.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #4
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
The seed itself contains the necessary nutrients for germination and feeds the embryo until the first true leaves appear. I do not see any benefit to fertilizing until after the first true leaves appear and then I only use a 10% solution.
This assumes a healthy fresh seed. The older ones don't have the same nutrients, energy, and vigor. I am a fan of giving them as much as they will take, just not too much.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #5
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee12 View Post
I recall reading that Miracle Gro, presumably weakened, helps seed germination and/or seed starting. I have been doing searches on this site and Google searches and cannot find details.

Is anyone familiar with this?

What is the process and dosage?

Thank you.
I think that the Miracle Grow soak is reserved for older (5 to 10 + year old) seeds. I don't think is is necessary, or helpful, for fresher seeds.
Here's one post on the subject:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....3&postcount=13

As for searches, try substituting "blue stuff" for Miracle Grow; for some reason, people can't bring themselves to use that name.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #6
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Or try the correct spelling, "Miracle-Gro".

I just use whatever is in my watering can, which is pH corrected and usually includes 1/4 strength MGAP (All Purpose 24-8-16). This year, though, I might try Worth's method of hitting them with full strength early on.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #7
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the responses, I edited the title to better reflect my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post
This assumes a healthy fresh seed. The older ones don't have the same nutrients, energy, and vigor. I am a fan of giving them as much as they will take, just not too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas_OW View Post
I think that the Miracle Grow soak is reserved for older (5 to 10 + year old) seeds. I don't think is is necessary, or helpful, for fresher seeds.
Here's one post on the subject:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....3&postcount=13

As for searches, try substituting "blue stuff" for Miracle Grow; for some reason, people can't bring themselves to use that name.

Jim
Thanks, my recollection was fuzzy but I think what I was looking for was related to seed germination of older / difficult to germinate seeds, but I also think that I've seen where Miracle Gro has been used in the early stages of growth which is what Worth is posting about, so it looks like I conflated things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
1/2 to full power first rattle out of the box once they germinated.
I did the comparisons last year and it made them grow big time faster.
Just be careful how often.

Worth
I know I asked but I don't know if I'm brave enough to do half-strength that early in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas_OW View Post

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Or try the correct spelling, "Miracle-Gro".

I just use whatever is in my watering can, which is pH corrected and usually includes 1/4 strength MGAP (All Purpose 24-8-16). This year, though, I might try Worth's method of hitting them with full strength early on.
One other challenge is that it is often abbreviated as MG.

Tomatoville does not like "Miracle-Gro." Using "Miracle Gro" as a search term on Tomatoville and Google yields results but the results are broad. This was a "I know it when I see it" situation and I think what I was mostly looking for was using MG for germination of older / difficult to germinate seeds.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just in case you get the courage to do it.
Here is what I do.
Take a pour spout you would use on a booze bottle, 'I use the plastic one that comes on the 1/2 gallon bottles.
A 4 count is a shot or 1.5 oz's.
Then you can break it down into quarters by counting to 1 and so on.
This is how I measuer fertilizer for my plants.
Very accurate.

Worth
Old February 5, 2017   #9
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Ah, but what's in the bottle? Full strength? It that your only watering wet stuff? or do you water with water and use the booze method for dosing?

And which MG are you using, the 24-8-16 or the lower N version (which I've never used, but it seems to be intended for toms and veg)?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Ah, but what's in the bottle? Full strength? It that your only watering wet stuff? or do you water with water and use the booze method for dosing?

And which MG are you using, the 24-8-16 or the lower N version (which I've never used, but it seems to be intended for toms and veg)?
Full strength never fertilize dry so I dose.
The regular stuff 24-8-6 I dont buy into the low N (tomato) products from anybody.

Worth