Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old December 18, 2016   #16
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Mark, this is a good example of dosing effect. I've grown out some crosses with Cherokee Green and had very similar results. If you grow the resulting seed, they will segregate 1 green when ripe, 3 salmon bicolor, and 12 that can be either red or yellow depending on the other parent. This is caused by the biopath interruption from the green when ripe gene. The full lycopene biopath is present in Cherokee Green but it is stopped prior to production of yellow carotenoids. When Cherokee Green is crossed with a yellow variety, the yellow patches across GWR and CG patches across Yellow. The result is a red fruit but with dosing effects since only one copy of the gene is present to bypass GWR and one copy is present to bypass Yellow.

Now for the interesting tidbit. If you grow out the seed, 1 in 16 will produce the brightest candy apple red tomato you have ever grown.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2016   #17
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Mark, this is a good example of dosing effect. I've grown out some crosses with Cherokee Green and had very similar results. If you grow the resulting seed, they will segregate 1 green when ripe, 3 salmon bicolor, and 12 that can be either red or yellow depending on the other parent. This is caused by the biopath interruption from the green when ripe gene. The full lycopene biopath is present in Cherokee Green but it is stopped prior to production of yellow carotenoids. When Cherokee Green is crossed with a yellow variety, the yellow patches across GWR and CG patches across Yellow. The result is a red fruit but with dosing effects since only one copy of the gene is present to bypass GWR and one copy is present to bypass Yellow.

Now for the interesting tidbit. If you grow out the seed, 1 in 16 will produce the brightest candy apple red tomato you have ever grown.
DarJones, I shelved the yellow version and went with the bi-color segregate for the last 7 years, only a narrow sample due to lack of space, but this past season I also grew the yellow segregate, seeds from the pic below, just one plant; didn't get the plant in the ground until MID JULY!! it started out yellow but I turned my back on it, and next time I saw them the season ended and they almost were red! Just some faint areas yellow barely detectable... will have to look/see if I have a pic, as my tablet got wiped...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CGXyellow.jpg (53.0 KB, 41 views)
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote