Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Closed Thread

Old July 22, 2016   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Growers Supply is a small company they answer emails put out orders promptly and answer the phone, as well as several listed here some well respected and loved members.
If you have to join Facebook they cant answer the phone or emails after several tries they aren't worth dealing with.
Seems to me the person spends too much time on Facebook.

Worth
Old July 22, 2016   #17
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the recommendation, Worth. Can't tell you how much time I spent trying to track down my seeds. Glad he is so busy he can ignore orders but I will order from Tomato Growers Supply next time. Perfect name, don't know how I missed that one.

Gardadore, thank you for your support. I was feeling a little bad about contacting my CC, I have a business and know about being overwhelmed. I just spent way to much time wondering where my seeds were and trying to make things right. Time to move on....
Old July 22, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Like I said they aren't the only ones we have several active honest members here that sell seeds.

I dont want to list them because if I miss one or two I dont want to insult them thinking I left them out.
Just start from the top and read some of the threads on them.

Worth
Old July 22, 2016   #19
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Trade Winds Fruit is great for a wide varieties of tomatoes, peppers, vege, herbs, tropical and weird plants.

I just placed an order, and am very happy with their service. They're responsive on emails, I received the package within 3 days of placing order, and each seed pack contains more seeds than indicated on the website.

(I found job's tears, comfrey, pigeon peas, and many wonderful stuff..)
Old July 22, 2016   #20
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Check out the stickies in this section of the forum. You'll find many threads about vendors as well as a somewhat out of date but still useful) list of recommended vendors - http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=3
Old July 22, 2016   #21
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, everyone.... Great information. I thought I had found a link to Renaissance on this forum but I think it was someone with a similar name. And, he has some varieties I really want to try. Anyway, water under the bridge and all that...

Aerial, you must have a spectacular garden... Where are you in CA?
Old July 22, 2016   #22
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

My impression is that Curtis usually does a pretty good job getting orders out, and his seeds are good quality.

Many of us who try to balance growing and seed selling fall down on the job a bit during peak tomato season.

Indeed, when I caught up on filling orders today, I was a few weeks behind. Most people don't worry about it at this time of year, because they are purchasing for next year. But, when I looked in the email associated with our website, indeed I also had a frustrated customer.
Old July 22, 2016   #23
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

In the South Bay. Still in the process of working to improve the garden soil, so I can put in those cool perennial veges and herbs.

I'm excited to have a lovely moringa baby tree growing among the beans. ❤

Last edited by Aerial; July 22, 2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old July 23, 2016   #24
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Sounds great, Aerial! I understand Moringa has edible leaves? My garden is in a community garden and we are not allowed to plant any trees, unfortunately.
Old July 23, 2016   #25
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
In the South Bay. Still in the process of working to improve the garden soil, so I can put in those cool perennial veges and herbs.

I'm excited to have a lovely moringa baby tree growing among the beans. ❤
Aerial, that Moringa can grow to 40' tall. Forewarned is forearmed.

Moringas have edible everythings.
Old July 23, 2016   #26
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marsha! I plan to keep the Moringa well pruned, if any luck I can get it to grow and overwinter. I've seen blogs showing the plants being topped off every year and they'll regrow from roots? The seeds came from FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Aerial, that Moringa can grow to 40' tall. Forewarned is forearmed.

Moringas have edible everythings.
Old July 27, 2016   #27
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Default Update

I received my seed order today.... I immediately emailed Curtis Jackson to explain I had canceled the charge on my card and why, but that I would mail him a check for the amount. The seeds look fine but I will not order from him again. I've been around the block a few times and there are too many red flags for me to feel comfortable ordering from this company. I did include a note with my payment with an apology but did not receive any kind of apology or note along with my seeds. This is what I received, do not know anything about these varieties:

Virginia Sweets
Tigarella
India Zebra correction Indian Zebra
German Queen
Copper River

Last edited by rhoder551; July 28, 2016 at 12:00 PM. Reason: edit tomatoe variety
Old July 27, 2016   #28
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I hope they work out well for you! Unfortunate ordering was a poor experience.
Old July 28, 2016   #29
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I grew both German Queen and Virginia Sweets. Virginia Sweets ripened late in this area but was excellent. I have not grown it again simply because of its lateness. German Queen I grew for a couple of years but don't remember getting a great yield. They were good, though. I have one seed left and with so many other possibilities have not ordered more. Happy to see that you finally got your seeds! There should have been an apology or explanation of some sort attached to it, however.
Old July 28, 2016   #30
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
I hope they work out well for you! Unfortunate ordering was a poor experience.
Not a terrible transaction since I did get the seeds, but not very good either. Perhaps I'm a little impatient... Also, at the same time I ordered the seeds, I ordered 3 roses from a grower in CA. and she was so on it! Every time I emailed a question about my dinky little order, I received an answer within a few hours from the grower herself. Of course, there is a price difference between the cost of seeds and plants but in this case, not so much since the roses are babies. I haven't received the roses yet and it might be a month but I'm expecting very good quality judging from her business communications so far. And, these tomato seeds are the most expensive I have purchased...

Gardadore, thank you for the information on those two. Looking forward to growing them...
Closed Thread