Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 8, 2017   #181
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Do sprouts need light to know which direction is up? Or can they sense gravity?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #182
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Actually pretty much all the LED Grow Lights do produce heat. Some of them produce LOTS of heat. Though in theory they are more efficient and thus don't produce as much heat a conventional bulbs.

Here is another one i bought to try. Not sure if it's really that good or not, but even with the giant heat sink it gets HOT if you touch it. I honestly like the big square light i linked to above a LOT better. (http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-War...a-1053607.html)

But heat or no heat i think is really a mute point. The seedlings just need enough light intensity (withing the right wavelengths the continue to grow and green up). Heat from lighting is not needed at all and might even be a bad thing.

I also just recently bought a cheap fan to help my seedlings to toughen up too. I read that if they have a slight wind while young it encourages them to send out more roots to stabilize themselves. So by the time you do plant them out they should do really well.

Last edited by Keen101; February 8, 2017 at 05:45 PM.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #183
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Keen, a fan makes the stems thicker and tougher. Not heard about roots, but it kinda makes sense. Even a fair breeze (vs "gentle wafting") will do more good than harm, unless you let it dry out the cells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Do sprouts need light to know which direction is up? Or can they sense gravity?
IIRC they tried this in orbit, and they do sense gravity.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote