Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 9, 2014   #1
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

Default 2014 Crosses

As usual, we didn't get to grow every line that we had hoped, nor did we get the quantity where we wanted, but we did get to play around with some of past years crosses, and some of Tom Wagner's segregating lines. Here are a few...

I will have to dig up a few more.

The Orange Walk picture shows fruit from four different plants along with Pink and Purple Bumblebees in the background for size reference. Tom, what is the background on this one, since it came out very different than the picture holder on your website?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomatoorangewalk.jpg (639.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg TomatoMEBlack.jpg (688.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg TomatoLZxGZCh.jpg (151.3 KB, 82 views)

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2014   #2
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

A few of last year's crosses involved combinations of stripes, more specifically the Bumblebees from Artisan crossed to a couple of Tom's Zebra releases (Luckenbach and Muckleshoot Zebra). I was looking for flavor from the Artisan lines and some unusual genetic backgrounds from Tom's crosses to hopefully come out with some worthy unique tomatoes.

Mamognahela Epidote black is an F3? growout from a small green sholdered purple cherry from last year's Mamog Ep F2s. As you can see, there are a lot of unusual combinations in this one, with the GWR being the big surprise. We did between 15 and 20, and have seen stripes, blacks, purples, and a GWR.

Whippoorwill Gardens

Last edited by WhippoorwillG; August 9, 2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Omitted information
Old August 9, 2014   #3
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

A couple more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PkBbeexMuckleshoot-1.jpg (170.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg bbeexmuckleshoot-2.jpg (226.3 KB, 80 views)

Whippoorwill Gardens
Old August 9, 2014   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Mark,

Thanks for posting those pictures and comments.

http://www.tom8toes.com/index.php/orange-walk.html shows the long version of Orange Walk. I sent seed to Gary in Hawaii nearly two years ago but we no longer have a professional agreement. The versions you grew look like the three lines Gary had in Waimea last year...as they were small orange cherries. Not sure how and what happened. Orange Walk got the name from sending seed to Orange Walk, Belize back in 2012. The pedigree includes Schimmeig Creg and the long shape comes from a vestigial cross of many years ago.

I had to go to http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co...y-released-tom
to see what got released where and when. Thanks Jayb!

Glad to see the Momognahela Epitdote getting some traction in breeding work. Here is a link to some out there. It seems the spelling is morphing right along with the variety itself. https://www.flickr.com/photos/100179...430227/detail/

The Luchenbach Zebra I harvested seed on yesterday was a 1/2 inch version that looks like the hybrid in the middle of your photo of#2 LZ x GZC. I am trying to keep the size of Texas Wild in it.

I have lots of Bumblebee variety crosses as well.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2014   #5
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Oops, I copied Momognahela Epidote from the packet so thought I was correct. I've noticed it spelt several ways now, how would you like it spelt or were they slightly different to reflect the selection?
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote