Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old October 7, 2013   #1
tomatoaddict

Default 2013 Season

Purple Dog Creek

Kentucky Cabin

Margaret Curtain

Copper River

Marmande Verte

Purple Bumblebee

Morado Vejer de la Frontera

Moya Jaune and Moya Noire

I'll add more soon.
Old October 7, 2013   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Stunning beauties and pictures. Your camera takes excellent close-ups.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2013   #3
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

What beauties! Very perfect looking. There's a bird eyeballing your Purple Bumblebees.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2013   #4
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

.. Not to mention it would be nice to hear your reviews on these less well known varieties.
Old October 7, 2013   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
What beauties! Very perfect looking. There's a bird eyeballing your Purple Bumblebees.
I grew both the Pink and Purple Bumble Bees here at home this past summer, both bred by Fred Hemple who sells seed at his website and is a member here as well, and not only were they beautifully colored, they tasted good as well.

No, I didn't send the seeds out for seed production for my next seed offer here in Jan, but did give some seeds to a local person, who brought me plants when most of the plants that Craig had shipped up to me were sent the day before I had that nastly fall with sepsis and hardly any blood pressure detailed in the thread that Mischka put up.

And sad to say, but many many new ones I sent out for seed production will not appear b'c of weather conditions at the places where my wonderful seed producers garden.

All to say, beautiful photos Terry and yes, I do recognize the names of most of them.

Carolyn
Old October 7, 2013   #6
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I grew both the Pink and Purple Bumble Bees here at home this past summer, both bred by Fred Hemple who sells seed at his website and is a member here as well, and not only were they beautifully colored, they tasted good as well.

No, I didn't send the seeds out for seed production for my next seed offer here in Jan, but did give some seeds to a local person, who brought me plants when most of the plants that Craig had shipped up to me were sent the day before I had that nastly fall with sepsis and hardly any blood pressure detailed in the thread that Mischka put up.

And sad to say, but many many new ones I sent out for seed production will not appear b'c of weather conditions at the places where my wonderful seed producers garden.

All to say, beautiful photos Terry and yes, I do recognize the names of most of them.

Carolyn

I ordered Fred's Pink and Purple Bumblebee seeds last month, and he sent me Sunrise Bumblebee as a bonus! I also ordered Tania's Green Bumblebee and Lee Goodwin's Bosque Blue Bumblebee, so I'm looking forward to having bumblebees pollinating all over the place next spring.

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2013   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
.. Not to mention it would be nice to hear your reviews on these less well known varieties.
Terry has great descriptions on her website:

http://www.secret-seedcartel.com/shop-tomatoes.asp

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2013   #8
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Impressive tomatoes. I too like to see the lesser known tomatoes pictured and reviewed.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2013   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

wow. gorgeous tomatoes!

and grown in zone 5 which is encouraging to me here in 3a. I can usually get away with most midseason varieties up here and these are all new ones to me. I will have to look them up.
Nice pictures too!.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2013   #10
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Secret Seed cartel has really appealing-looking varieties available. I'm surprised to see that one of them, Orange Berry, is considered a rarity in the U.S. - I actually have some seeds of it in my stash, and it did not seem very exciting.
Maybe I should reconsider and try growing it next year, after all.
Old October 7, 2013   #11
tomatoaddict

I do try very hard to offer varieties not commercially offered in the U.S. If I growout something worthy, I always try and offer it with the proper credit given to the breeders so as not to take anything away from them. Peppers too. I got the Margaret Curtain from a fellow tomatovillian and it was much better than I expected! I'm surprised more people aren't searching for it.
I had a lousey season weather wise so many new things I wanted to offer didn't make it. On to next year. You can't get hung up on one year right? The Orange Berry Cherry, I love!! Yes, I had to get the seeds from Europe as no one offered it here. Have it on the list for next year for fresh seed.
Old October 8, 2013   #12
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Your site is really neat and well organized - there are many I'd love to try. Margaret Curtain and a couple of others.
Orange Berry was in a multi-pack by Johnsons seeds (originally from the U.K.), that was given to me by a kind soul. It was an assortment of heirlooms, including Costoluto Fiorentino and Red pear. Those were the ones I was planning on sowing next spring, but I'll try the Orange Berry as well. if it germinates and grows fruit, I'll be glad to collect seeds and offer them in a swap. Had no idea it is a rarity - there are so many yellow / golden colored tasty cherries that I didn't think it as anything unique.
Old October 8, 2013   #13
tomatoaddict

Out of the tomatoes that made it thru this year, my favorites were Moya and Margaret Curtain. Wish I could have reviewed everything but C'est la vie.
Old October 8, 2013   #14
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I absolutely LOVED Margaret Curtain! It has been invited back next year for sure! Here, in the high desert, we had several bouts with extreme heat and Margaret didn't like it very much, but she ended up producing well and most fruit ripened on the plant before the first frost hit. I can't ask for more than that.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2013   #15
tomatoaddict

Hi Robin. MC was my first ripe tomato out of 45 varieties. On my list again for next year.