Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 22, 2015   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Gone Baby Gone! :(

My mystery Green and Grubs Mystery Green, diagonal from each other effected less than TWO days ago.

Leaves are drying up and crunchy.

No other plants show any signs.

Thoughts?

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g1.jpg (168.0 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg g3.jpg (132.1 KB, 162 views)
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The soil doesn't look too wet like ours. We lost a Japanese Black Trifile plant that looked a lot like the pictures above. Not crunchy, but saggy and dead. I chalked ours up to being too wet. It was the only plant that did that in a garden of 65 tomato plants + volunteers.

Dry and crunchy happened last year but it was 105F a lot out.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Grey mold I believe. If you plan to try and save them, remove and bag affected foliage, use fungicide after applying clean mulch beneath. You may be able to control it. Be vigilant checking your other plants, avoid wetting foliage.
Other option, remove both infected plants and carefully monitor the others
Preventive spray with copper may be of benefit
Best wishes
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if it's some kind of wilt? The way half the plant seems effected and the other half still looks okay.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

That is gray mold and quite advanced also. Your only hope is to spray with the diluted bleach spray and then repeat the treatment in a day or two and remove the leaves that will die after the treatment takes affect. Then use a fungicide. A fungicide now will not stop gray mold. Black tomatoes and GWR tomatoes are the most susceptible to gray mold but I would spray any nearby tomatoes also to ensure it hasn't started on them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #6
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Ratio of bleach per gallon of water??

Already used fungicide on it.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Read this thread. Make sure to spray late in the day preferably after the sun is down.
Good luck and I hope it isn't too late for the plants. It is best to start the bleach spray immediately upon seeing a problem like gray mold and before it gets widespread on a plant.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...t=bleach+spray

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Greg, just my $.02- I have had grey mold almost every year, and my liquid copper fungicide worked very well on it. Before spraying, I removed and bagged all the infected leaves I could find. Then sprayed very thoroughly on the tops, bottoms of all leaves, and all stems right down to the soil line. Note, I used 1/2 of the weakest strength on the Southern Ag brand label, mixed with a tiny bit of organic dish soap as a spreader, which I put in at the end so as not to get too much suds. Works perfectly.

In my hands the bleach spray wasn't good, maybe I mixed it too strong, but I devastated some of my plants. In B54reds hands it works really well.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote