Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old May 7, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Fibrous Begonias

I have a flower bed that is in mostly dappled shade (Some people call it, "Bright Shade") I'm able to grow mint and asparagus fern in it. Next year, I'm going to plant a lot of shade loving perennials from bulbs, but this year, I'd like to see how some annuals grow in it.

I bought 3 six packs of Fibrous Begonias transplants. One red, One white, One pink. I have not planted them yet. The tag in one of the six packs reads:

Part Sun - 3 to 6 hours of daily sun.
Water when top inch of soil is dry.
Feed every two weeks with an all purpose plant food.
8-12" tall.
8-12" wide.

The bed is a full 2' wide of soil x around 20' long. I'll take a picture tomorrow when the sun is out and post it here, and give a measured length of bed, because right now, I'm just guessing 20 feet long. As always, a picture along with accurate measurements says a lot more than what I'm typing. What I'm wondering is actually several questions.

Do you think they will grow well in this dappled shade bed? If they won't grow there, we have other options, but this is where we would like for them to grow.

If you were growing them, would you mix the colors or grow each color in it's own section? On the not mixing them thought, I was thinking of growing them in a red section, followed by a white section, followed by a pink section. A link showing Begonia colors: https://www.google.com/search?q=fibr...0CB0QsAQ&dpr=1

I am 100% open to ideas and thoughts. Where this bed is located, it is dapple shaded, but still hot (80-95F) and VERY humid (70%+) from Mid April through late July - Followed by even hotter (100-110f) and low humidity (15%) in August through mid/late September.

Thoughts and ideas on shade loving perennials would be great, but we won't be able to afford that until next year.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

For perremials I will defer to your Texas neighbours on that topic. For the begonias they should go very well in your bed. They are very hardy and adaptable plants. If it were my bed, I would plant them in groups, uneven numbers three or five for best effect alternating Colors along the way.
Good choice for part shade.
KarenO
To fill a bed that size I would recommend about 36 though if you don't want to see much space between them?
Like so... Forgive the scribbles but you get the idea. Small groups have more visual impact than single plants and would make a pretty bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (109.8 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by KarenO; May 7, 2015 at 03:34 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Karen, I like your idea.

I was trying to wait until it got sunny today to take pictures, but it's just getting more rainy. The beds are an outside boarder to our garden. The plantable length is 16' x 2'. I had forgot about the mint spreading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0020.JPG (90.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0021.JPG (87.5 KB, 67 views)
Old May 7, 2015   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I don't know begonias but I had good luck with salvias in that type of sun exposure. Great humminbird plants, too.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like caladiums for shade.
They will grow in just about the worst soil you ever saw.
And come in.many colors.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #6
hiker_
Tomatovillian™

I've had fibrous begonias as house plants and deck plants for a while. They like humidity. You've seen my troubles with soggy tomatoes and ground cherries...well, the begonias I kept inside (in front of a window blocked by a lace curtain) have been too *dry* to be happy! (Granted, they are in "normal" potting mix, not this !@#$ vermiculite-filled stuff which I am never using again.)

I think they'll be fine in your dappled shade--they especially need shade when it's hot. But I wouldn't expect them to take the 15% humidity. They'd probably fade then.
hiker_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Your Begonias are definitely going to need part shade or you will burn them up. The plan Karen laid out for you is the same one I would use and the colors in that order too. That way they will make a statement.

Also, by planting them a bit closer together they will grow a bit taller. Begonias are a fiberous plant. They will hold water in their stems, so don't let them have soggy feet.

When you see them starting to look all leggy and not so good after first main couple of flushes of blooms, don't be afraid, give them a hair cut. It will promote more branching and more blooms.

Once you give them a hair cut only takes a couple of weeks for them to have all new branches and start blooming again.

Did you buy the green leaf foliage or the brown?

Depending on the cultivar you have, they generally will reseed for our area. You can also mulch them over for winter and if you don't get too cold, they will come back up. You can also take cuttings and they root in water real easy.

Take your haircut pieces and you can root them . Just put in a small cup and in a couple weeks they well rooted and ready for planting.

The Caladiums Worth mentioned are beautiful plants and well worth growing. A lot of times you can find group buys for them and pick up the #1's for 35 cent a piece.

You really need to get you some Aquilegia.. common name Columbine. They will take just about any soil and the blooms are beautiful and the colors and the hummingbirds love the heck out of them.

Here's a few ideas for you.

KEY:

P = Part Shade
F = Full Shade
W = Wet Conditions
D = Dry Conditions

Plants

Aconitum carmichaelii .. Azure Monkshood .. P
Agapanthus .. Agapanthus .. P,F,D
Alchemilla spp. .. Lady’s Mantle .. P,D
Aquilegia spp. .. Columbine .. P,D
Aruncus dioicus .. Goatsbeard .. P,D,W
Astilbe spp. .. Astilbe .. P,D,W

Begonia semperflorens .. Wax Begonia .. P,F
Browallia .. Amethyst Flower .. P,W

Catharanthus roseus .. Vinca .. P,D
Chelone lyonii .. Pink Turtlehead .. P,W
Cimicifuga .. Bugbane .. P,W
Corydalis spp. .. Fumewort .. P,F,W
Cynoglossum amabile .. Chinese Forget-Me-Not .. P

Dicenta spp. .. Bleeding Heart .. P,F
Digitalis purpurea .. Foglove .. P,D

Filipendula rubra .. Queen –of –the-Praireie .. P
Fuchsia spp. .. Fushia .. P

Galium odoratum .. Sweet Woodruff .. P,F,D
Geranium spp. .. Geranium (Hardy) .. P.D

Helleborus spp. ..Christmas Rose .. P,F,D
Heuchera .. Coral Bells .. P,D
Hosta spp. Hosta. P,F

Impatiens spp. Impatiens .. P,F

Ligularia spp. .. Lepard Plant .. P
Liriope muscari .. Monkey Grass .. P,F,D
Lobelia spp. .. Cardinal Flower .. P,W

Mertensia virginica .. Virginia Bluebells .. P,F
Monarda didyma .. Bee Balm .. P.D
Mimulus hybridus .. Monkey Flower .. P,F,D
Myosotis sylvatica .. Forget-Me Not .. P,W

Nicotiana spp. .. Flowering tobacco .. P
Nierembergia .. Cupflower .. P

Phlox stolonifera .. Creeping Phlox .. P,F
Phlox spp. .. Phlox .. P
Physotegia virginiana .. Obedient Plant .. P
Primula spp. .. Primrose .. P
Pulmonaria spp. lungwort .. P,D

Salvia splenedens .. Red Annual Salvia .. P
Sedum spp. .. Sedum .. P,D

Torenia flournieri .. Wishbone flower .. P

Viola spp. .. Violets .. P,D

Bulbs

Anemone spp. .. Wind Flower .. P
Begonia tuber hybrids .. Tuberous Begonias .. P
Caladium bicolor .. Caldium .. P,F
Crocus spp. .. Crocus .. P,D
Cyclamen hederifolium .. Cyclamen ( Hardy) .. P
Freesia spp. .. Fressia .. P,D
Galanthus nivalis .. Snowdrop .. P
Narcissus spp. .. Daffodil .. P,D
Trillium spp. trillium P,D

Vines and Groundcovers

Campsis radicans .. trumpet Vine .. P,W
Celastrus scandens .. Bittersweet .. P
Chrysogonum virgianmum .. Golden Star .. P,F
Clematis spp. .. Clematis .. P

Convallaria majalis .. Lily-of-the Valley .. P,F,D
Gelsemium sempervirens .. Carolina Jasmine .. P
Mandevilla spp. .. Mandevilla .. P
Thymus spp. .. Creeping Thyme .. P,D
Thunbergia alata .. Black-eyed Susan Vine .. P

Trachelospermum spp. .. Star jasmine .. P
Vinca minor .. Periwinkle .. P,F,D

Shrubs

Buddleia spp. .. Butterfly Bush .. P
Callicarpa spp. .. Beauty Berry .. P
Camellia spp.. Camellia .. P,W
Clethra alnifolia .. Sumemrsweet .. P
Daphne spp. .. Daphne .. P

Fothergilla spp. Witch Alder .. P
Gardenia augusta .. Gardenia .. P,W
Hamamelis spp. Witch Hazel .. P,W
Hibiscus spp. .. Hibiscus .. P,W
Hydrangea spp. Hydrangea .. P,W

Ilex verticillata .. Winterberry .. P,W
Kerria japonica .. Japanese Rose .. P,W
Philadelphus spp. .. Mock Orange .. P
Rhododendron spp. .. Rhodoendron .. P,F,W
Rhodoendron spp. .. Azalea .. P,F,W

Viburnum .. Vuburnum P
Weigela flordia .. Weigela .. P

There are many .. many more types out there too. There are alot of plants that say full sun that actually do better in semi shade, like Tracy said the Salvias. Alot of descriptions for plants are geared for more Northern states and so they need the shade for the hot and humid temps of the South.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Starlight. WOW! I'm going to look up every one of them.

"Take your haircut pieces and you can root them . Just put in a small cup and in a couple weeks they well rooted and ready for planting."

Thank you. I have some tomatoes and bushes stems in water to root. They've been there for about a week without any signs of roots. Now I know I'm just being impatient - lol good to know.

Everyone, here is a picture of the begonias we bought. I looked yesterday, and Walmart has plenty more of each color if I need them. Spacing, how close would you plant them? I am going to plant them as Karen suggested in her illustration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0023.JPG (74.8 KB, 50 views)
Old May 8, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I feel like an idiot I never knew what these things were called but have heard of them all my life.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Before I start looking up all those plants Starlight posted above, I want to ask about what you all think about "Wandering Jews" ? My stepmother (Mom to-me) planted some many years ago in full sun. There are a lot of them, and some are growing in an area where they need to be removed = last picture. Yesterday, I found out that they actually do better in dappled shade. Should I dig them up to plant in the area where the second year onion are - or take cuttings to root? Of course, I'll wait until the onions produce seeds before removing the onions. This area/bed is directly under an elm tree.

We have countless huge oak and elm trees and another 20' bed right behind the second picture in post #3 to plant in and around. I'll go take some pictures before it starts raining. I'm adding info after taking pictures, so my paragraphs may seem redundant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0025.JPG (88.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0026.JPG (78.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0027.JPG (83.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0028.JPG (70.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0029.JPG (84.9 KB, 48 views)
Old May 8, 2015   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

OH!!!!!!! You got my favorite color leafed begonia. I think the brown leaf does a whole lot better and it handles sun a bit better too.

I would put in the first plant than measure 8" across and plant the second one. Than have at least 8" or even 10 " if you want to make a longer sided looking triangles. Than just keep repeating Karen's pattern.

You plant them any closer together and they are going to stretch to about 2 feet tall and you won't have as many side branches or reblooming.

Wandering Jew is starting to get popular again. Looks great in hanging baskets.

Coleus is another good one for the shade. There is not too much because of your high heat that you can't grow in the semi-shade.

Lobelia and the herb Comfrey has beautiful purplish/blue flowers that the hummers love and you can make Comfrey salve from it too.

There are loads of beautiful flowering herbs and wildflowers that would love your place and under and around all them trees.
Old May 8, 2015   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Friday is always house cleaning day for me - My wife and grandchildren are here on Wednesday/Thursday, and they make sure that Friday is major house cleaning day.

I'm having to wait on the kitchen floor to dry, so I went out and made this simple 8" template.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0063.JPG (64.3 KB, 43 views)
Old May 9, 2015   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

SOLD! Dicenta spp. .. Bleeding Heart .. P,F

I have very fond childhood memories of Bleeding Hearts and so does my Wife. We both instantly agreed that they are what we want to grow. As a very young child, My father, uncle, and grandparents bought three houses beside each other in town. The houses are 10 miles north of us.

My grandmother planted a bleeding heart on the west side of her house. It got a lot of full sun and reflected sun from the white painted house. It lasted a few years. My father planted his bleeding hearts on the east side of our house. They grew bigger and flowered much more for at least 20 years - for all I know, they may still be there.

I've seen red, pink and while ones. I liked all of them, but red is my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Your Begonias are definitely going to need part shade or you will burn them up. The plan Karen laid out for you is the same one I would use and the colors in that order too. That way they will make a statement.

Also, by planting them a bit closer together they will grow a bit taller. Begonias are a fiberous plant. They will hold water in their stems, so don't let them have soggy feet.

When you see them starting to look all leggy and not so good after first main couple of flushes of blooms, don't be afraid, give them a hair cut. It will promote more branching and more blooms.

Once you give them a hair cut only takes a couple of weeks for them to have all new branches and start blooming again.

Did you buy the green leaf foliage or the brown?

Depending on the cultivar you have, they generally will reseed for our area. You can also mulch them over for winter and if you don't get too cold, they will come back up. You can also take cuttings and they root in water real easy.

Take your haircut pieces and you can root them . Just put in a small cup and in a couple weeks they well rooted and ready for planting.

The Caladiums Worth mentioned are beautiful plants and well worth growing. A lot of times you can find group buys for them and pick up the #1's for 35 cent a piece.

You really need to get you some Aquilegia.. common name Columbine. They will take just about any soil and the blooms are beautiful and the colors and the hummingbirds love the heck out of them.

Here's a few ideas for you.

KEY:

P = Part Shade
F = Full Shade
W = Wet Conditions
D = Dry Conditions

Plants

Aconitum carmichaelii .. Azure Monkshood .. P
Agapanthus .. Agapanthus .. P,F,D
Alchemilla spp. .. Lady’s Mantle .. P,D
Aquilegia spp. .. Columbine .. P,D
Aruncus dioicus .. Goatsbeard .. P,D,W
Astilbe spp. .. Astilbe .. P,D,W

Begonia semperflorens .. Wax Begonia .. P,F
Browallia .. Amethyst Flower .. P,W

Catharanthus roseus .. Vinca .. P,D
Chelone lyonii .. Pink Turtlehead .. P,W
Cimicifuga .. Bugbane .. P,W
Corydalis spp. .. Fumewort .. P,F,W
Cynoglossum amabile .. Chinese Forget-Me-Not .. P

Dicenta spp. .. Bleeding Heart .. P,F
Digitalis purpurea .. Foglove .. P,D

Filipendula rubra .. Queen –of –the-Praireie .. P
Fuchsia spp. .. Fushia .. P

Galium odoratum .. Sweet Woodruff .. P,F,D
Geranium spp. .. Geranium (Hardy) .. P.D

Helleborus spp. ..Christmas Rose .. P,F,D
Heuchera .. Coral Bells .. P,D
Hosta spp. Hosta. P,F

Impatiens spp. Impatiens .. P,F

Ligularia spp. .. Lepard Plant .. P
Liriope muscari .. Monkey Grass .. P,F,D
Lobelia spp. .. Cardinal Flower .. P,W

Mertensia virginica .. Virginia Bluebells .. P,F
Monarda didyma .. Bee Balm .. P.D
Mimulus hybridus .. Monkey Flower .. P,F,D
Myosotis sylvatica .. Forget-Me Not .. P,W

Nicotiana spp. .. Flowering tobacco .. P
Nierembergia .. Cupflower .. P

Phlox stolonifera .. Creeping Phlox .. P,F
Phlox spp. .. Phlox .. P
Physotegia virginiana .. Obedient Plant .. P
Primula spp. .. Primrose .. P
Pulmonaria spp. lungwort .. P,D

Salvia splenedens .. Red Annual Salvia .. P
Sedum spp. .. Sedum .. P,D

Torenia flournieri .. Wishbone flower .. P

Viola spp. .. Violets .. P,D

Bulbs

Anemone spp. .. Wind Flower .. P
Begonia tuber hybrids .. Tuberous Begonias .. P
Caladium bicolor .. Caldium .. P,F
Crocus spp. .. Crocus .. P,D
Cyclamen hederifolium .. Cyclamen ( Hardy) .. P
Freesia spp. .. Fressia .. P,D
Galanthus nivalis .. Snowdrop .. P
Narcissus spp. .. Daffodil .. P,D
Trillium spp. trillium P,D

Vines and Groundcovers

Campsis radicans .. trumpet Vine .. P,W
Celastrus scandens .. Bittersweet .. P
Chrysogonum virgianmum .. Golden Star .. P,F
Clematis spp. .. Clematis .. P

Convallaria majalis .. Lily-of-the Valley .. P,F,D
Gelsemium sempervirens .. Carolina Jasmine .. P
Mandevilla spp. .. Mandevilla .. P
Thymus spp. .. Creeping Thyme .. P,D
Thunbergia alata .. Black-eyed Susan Vine .. P

Trachelospermum spp. .. Star jasmine .. P
Vinca minor .. Periwinkle .. P,F,D

Shrubs

Buddleia spp. .. Butterfly Bush .. P
Callicarpa spp. .. Beauty Berry .. P
Camellia spp.. Camellia .. P,W
Clethra alnifolia .. Sumemrsweet .. P
Daphne spp. .. Daphne .. P

Fothergilla spp. Witch Alder .. P
Gardenia augusta .. Gardenia .. P,W
Hamamelis spp. Witch Hazel .. P,W
Hibiscus spp. .. Hibiscus .. P,W
Hydrangea spp. Hydrangea .. P,W

Ilex verticillata .. Winterberry .. P,W
Kerria japonica .. Japanese Rose .. P,W
Philadelphus spp. .. Mock Orange .. P
Rhododendron spp. .. Rhodoendron .. P,F,W
Rhodoendron spp. .. Azalea .. P,F,W

Viburnum .. Vuburnum P
Weigela flordia .. Weigela .. P

There are many .. many more types out there too. There are alot of plants that say full sun that actually do better in semi shade, like Tracy said the Salvias. Alot of descriptions for plants are geared for more Northern states and so they need the shade for the hot and humid temps of the South.
Old May 10, 2015   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
SOLD! Dicenta spp. .. Bleeding Heart .. P,F

I have very fond childhood memories of Bleeding Hearts and so does my Wife. We both instantly agreed that they are what we want to grow. As a very young child, My father, uncle, and grandparents bought three houses beside each other in town. The houses are 10 miles north of us.

My grandmother planted a bleeding heart on the west side of her house. It got a lot of full sun and reflected sun from the white painted house. It lasted a few years. My father planted his bleeding hearts on the east side of our house. They grew bigger and flowered much more for at least 20 years - for all I know, they may still be there.

I've seen red, pink and while ones. I liked all of them, but red is my favorite.
I grew up with the Bleeding Hearts too. As kids we used to pick the hearts and try and try and pinch them open like you do a snapdragon trying to make them talk.

Besides the colors you have mentioned, I have seen the variegated foliage one too, but somehow the only color that really stands out and makes you think Bleeding Heart is the red.

With all the room you have, you could really have yourself a nice cottage garden look all over the place. Just build the sections a bit at a time.
Old May 10, 2015   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Starlight, you are spot-on.

Yes, we do have to build the sections a bit at a time. My wife and I have watch how much we spend this year especially. The land we live on is being transferred to my name (But my brother still owns half) we have to pay back taxes going back a long while. I know I didn't have to share that, but that is why money is a major concern this year.

There's another good thing about taking our time to develop these beds/gardens. Over time, we learn there are way more options. Along the way, we learn not to be so set in our ways - and we adapt. We learn by sharing and learning from each other.

I planted those Begonias like Karen suggested, and they looked good after planting them.

I transplanted many Coleus plants. I planted them by seed in cells like I did tomatoes and peppers. I honestly had no clue what I was doing. The Coleus are still tiny (an inch or less tall) I'm hoping they grow. Coleus are my lifelong favorite type leaves, but I'm excited to find prettier ones. A link: https://www.google.com/search?q=cole...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

I will be posting a lot more in this flowers forum.