Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 22, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Shasta Daisy

This is my first attempt to start flowers in cells. The flower pack tells to start indoors 8 weeks before last frost. Then get them accustomed to outdoors (What I'm doing now). But it doesn't say anything about what size the plants should be at the time of transplanting them to garden. That is a US penny to show plant size.

I'm also wondering about how they may be able to take some colder temperatures? Shasta Daisies are perennials after all.

Any thoughts, opinions, or facts would be great

Thanks,
Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0076.JPG (80.9 KB, 77 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Robert, Nice looking babies you have there. They coming along just fine. They are perennials and they can take the cold when bigger, but they sure don't like cold and a lot of wet feet, especially int he seedling stage.

If you can if they start getting root bound I would transplant them into a bigger container and keep inside if you can til they get a bit bigger. They are not the fastest growing plant there is. It will be a year or two usually before you will see blooms.

What I do is take my seedlings your size and put three seedlings into a 6" pot. I know it normal to want to plant them straight up and down in the pot, but if you plant it at just a tiny bit of an angle and don't bury any deeper than what you have now, you will find that new shoots will emerge from out of the crown. If you bury the crown you will be waiting forever for your plant to fill out and they have natural tendency to lean a bit anyways.

If you plant three seedlings together at a slight angle to the edge of the pot, like a triangle and don't bury the crowns, you will find that new shoots will start emerging up in the center making a nice strong clump which will survive alot better than just a single seedling by itself.

The main thing is to take care of the root system. The stronger you can build that root system the better for the plant. That way if you have a long cold spell or a frost or a wet spring, or something decides to munch your plant, they will come back for you. Takes em a couple of months.

Grasshoppers and snails are very fond of newly emerging Shasta's so keep an eye on your babies when you put them out.

I know that they packages usually say full sun for the Shasta's but I have found they don't like our hot summer heat and sun. I usually grow mine where during the worst part of the day for sun they get some shade.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #3
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Robert,

Shastas do well up here in Ontario....so you shouldn't have to worry too much about cold temps...or what passes for them in Texas.

Looking good so far...good luck. I always find them very uplifting....a friendly flower.

Starlight,
Good tips, thanks.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Starlight, thank you for the reply. I will follow your advice.

Zana, I find them uplifting too.

I forgot to add, those are the Margarita Shasta Silver Princess type. I just noticed the package does say, "Full Sun/Part Shade".
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Some people like to receive roses, but to me nothing can put a big smile on your face faster than a bunch of Shasta daisies. Once you get them going, they such a carefree flower you can't help but smile and they compliment bouquets beautifully too. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #6
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Some people like to receive roses, but to me nothing can put a big smile on your face faster than a bunch of Shasta daisies. Once you get them going, they such a carefree flower you can't help but smile and they compliment bouquets beautifully too. : )
Ditto!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote