Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 26, 2015   #1
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Default 5 gallon swc 3-2-1 mishap

Greetings,

I had great success with just using Promix in 5 gallon swcs, decided to use the 3-2-1 ratio as described by Raybo to see if there was any difference

I added pine fines but I accidentally did 3 parts fine, 2 parts peat, and 1 part perlite per 5 gallon swc.

Should I redo the swcs and add more promix?

I have noticed the plants not looking quite as healthy as before, and they have only been going for about 2 weeks....
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2015   #2
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, but I'm not familiar with that system. What type of nutrients do you add to the 3-2-1?
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2015   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

what exactly is in the 3-2-1 recipe? peat is acidic. Are you adding any lime? epsom salt? I use Larry Hall's DIY potting mix recipe.
Old January 28, 2015   #4
elight
Tomatovillian™

Ray's 3-2-1 mix is 3 parts Pro-Mix BX (or similar), 2 parts pine bark fines, and 1 part perlite.

Pro-Mix BX is mostly peat. Here's the breakdown according to their website:
Peat: 79-87%
Perlite: 10-14%
Vermiculite: 3-7%
To make things easier, let's just treat the perlite and vermiculite as all perlite, and take the averages for the percentage ranges. That gives us 83% peat and 17% perlite.

Let's also say that you mixed a total of 6 gallons of ingredients, and ended up with about 5 gallons of combined mix (it works this way, since some of the finer ingredients fill in the gaps in the chunkier ingredients).

That means you started with 3 gallons of pine bark, 2 gallons peat, and 1 gallon perlite. But what you actually wanted was:
3 gallons Pro-Mix * 0.83 = 2.49 gallons peat
2 gallons pine bark fines
1 gallon perlite + (3 gallons Pro-Mix * 0.17) = 1.51 gallons perlite
In other words, the desired ratio of peat:pine:perlite in the 3-2-1 mix is 2.5:2:1.5. (This is confusing, but remember that one component of the 3-2-1 mix is Pro-Mix BX, which is comprised of other things.)

Here's what you could do. Dump out the current mix. To it, add 1 gallon of pine bark fines, 3 gallons peat, and 2 gallons of perlite. The result will be 5 gallons of peat, 4 gallons of pine bark, and 3 gallons of perlite - that's the desired 2.5:2:1.5 ratio from Ray's 3-2-1 mix.

By all means, check my math! Good luck!

Last edited by elight; January 28, 2015 at 09:48 PM.
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #5
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I made my own this year with vermiculite, DE, and peat. Its been working well so far.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #6
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

thanks that helped!! I redid the ratios a few weeks ago after your reply and the plants are thriving now!

trying to compare the difference with one that I have in just pro mix and perlite 5-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
Ray's 3-2-1 mix is 3 parts Pro-Mix BX (or similar), 2 parts pine bark fines, and 1 part perlite.

Pro-Mix BX is mostly peat. Here's the breakdown according to their website:
Peat: 79-87%
Perlite: 10-14%
Vermiculite: 3-7%
To make things easier, let's just treat the perlite and vermiculite as all perlite, and take the averages for the percentage ranges. That gives us 83% peat and 17% perlite.

Let's also say that you mixed a total of 6 gallons of ingredients, and ended up with about 5 gallons of combined mix (it works this way, since some of the finer ingredients fill in the gaps in the chunkier ingredients).

That means you started with 3 gallons of pine bark, 2 gallons peat, and 1 gallon perlite. But what you actually wanted was:
3 gallons Pro-Mix * 0.83 = 2.49 gallons peat
2 gallons pine bark fines
1 gallon perlite + (3 gallons Pro-Mix * 0.17) = 1.51 gallons perlite
In other words, the desired ratio of peat:pine:perlite in the 3-2-1 mix is 2.5:2:1.5. (This is confusing, but remember that one component of the 3-2-1 mix is Pro-Mix BX, which is comprised of other things.)

Here's what you could do. Dump out the current mix. To it, add 1 gallon of pine bark fines, 3 gallons peat, and 2 gallons of perlite. The result will be 5 gallons of peat, 4 gallons of pine bark, and 3 gallons of perlite - that's the desired 2.5:2:1.5 ratio from Ray's 3-2-1 mix.

By all means, check my math! Good luck!

Last edited by Imthechuck; February 17, 2015 at 10:05 AM.
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote