Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 27, 2014   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default how much fertilizer to use? please help!

NOTE: I am very bad at math/conversion, so could really use help with this please!

I make my own soil; 1 large batch makes 30 gallons. I mix in 2 cups of fertilizer per 30 gallon batch, when I make the soil. Normally I use Osmocote, and 90% of my veggies grown in containers love it. Unfortunately I'm having to use a different fertilizer for peppers and eggplants, because Osmocote doesn't work for them.

I'm using Vigoro; the fertilizer is 12-10-5. My first question is is Vigoro suitable for container gardening and can I just mix it in to my soil when I make it like I do w/the Osmocote?

My 2nd question is, how much to use? Should I just use 2 cups per 30 gallon batch like I do with the Osmocote or go by what the package says?

Here are the guidelines...

seeds...2 T per 5 square feet
vegetables....1 t per square foot; 1/4 cup per 10 square feet;
1 cup per 25 square feet established plantings....(this is for tomatoes) 2 T per 5 square feet.

Unfortunately square footage tells me nothing, since I need to know how much to add (in cups, tablespoons, etc.) per 30 gallon batch. Could really use clarification with this!
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014   #2
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

aime...you have covered a lot of ground with your post! I have some questions...and possible answers. What makes you think the osmocote does not work with some veges? Can it be another issue? Secondly, the osmocote is slow-release, I think. What about the Vigoro you want to use?
I have been quite successful with my container veges and tomatoes. I have learned much. Many low-dose feedings are much better/effective than full strength feedings occasionally. Free-draining potting mixes are VERY important. Larger pots for spreading/aggressive plants like tomatoes are better. goodluck
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Are you growing Tomatoes in the same mix as the peppers and eggplant? Is the problem with the peppers and eggplant fruit production and if so do you have excessive or stunted foliage growth?

Do you add additional nutrients to the containers during the course of he growing season or water the containers and let the Osmocote supply the nutrients?

As Ed has said free draining potting mixes are essential for plant growth and fruit production.

Ami
Old May 28, 2014   #4
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

To answer your question, yes my soil mix is well draining and I put holes in the bottom of the containers for drainage. Also , no I didn't have stunted tomato plants and they gave me tons of fruit last year.

My pepper plants and eggplant plants weren't stunted they were huge.Yes, the problem is with fruit production with my peppers and eggplants. I was told using a soil mix with lots of compost will result in huge plants and little to no fruit. Unfortunately I made the mistake of using a mix that had tons of compost in it; I didn't realize that a mix with tons of compost would result in huge pepper and eggplant plants, but little to no fruit. I got tons of blossoms on the pepper and eggplant plants last year, but the plants were massive, and hardly any fruit.

Is vigoro intended for ground use, or can it be used with containers? I honestly don't know, as I've never used it before, it's a new fertilizer for me; add to that, it doesn't specify on the bag whether it's suitable for use in containers or not.

Even IF it IS suitable for container gardening, I still need advice on how much to add per 30 gallon batch of soil mix (in cups or tablespoons with measuring)

Last edited by aimeruni; May 28, 2014 at 05:23 PM.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My pepper plants and eggplant plants weren't stunted they were huge.Yes, the problem is with fruit production with my peppers and eggplants.
It looks like there is too much nitrogen in the mix. I would use a different aggregate mix for the pepper/eggplants. Ferts for the pepper/eggplants I would us a N-P-K ratio of 1-2-2 like 5-10-10.

As the osmocote is a slow release fert this is the reason I suggest changing your potting mix as well. The tomato plants will deplete the nutrients in the potting mix much faster than the smaller pepper/eggplant plants so your present mix and fertilizer regemen is fine for tomatoes. Plus you are probably watering your tomato plants more often with more water than the pepper/eggplants which increases the leaching out of nutrients from the tomato aggregate.

Ami
Old June 2, 2014   #6
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

thinking Ami is right on the money!
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2014   #7
paintedlady
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Ami as well. If you've seen huge plants with nice green leaves but little fruit, that's a good indicator that you've got too much nitrogen. Sorry I can't help on the conversion of how much. I mostly grow a square foot garden or in pots and don't mix fertilizer the way you do.
paintedlady is offline   Reply With Quote