Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 12, 2012   #1
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Default 121212 Earth box promotion deal for today only

The Hot Buy
of the Century!

1 Day Only!
Don't miss out on the special rate
of just $36 for this bundle!

PLUS...Enjoy FREE SHIPPING!

Visit the EarthBox store
to place your order now!

Order 24/7 at 888.917.3908 or www.earthbox.com"121212" promotion expires Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. EST. "Free Shipping and Handling" offer available through Monday, December 24, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Offer good only while supplies last. Rain-checks are not available for any back-ordered, sold-out, or out-of-stock items. Offer not valid on previous purchases, Education orders, or any wholesale orders. Sales tax will apply in PA and WA. All orders must be purchased with intent for immediate delivery and cannot be placed on hold for a later shipping date/time. Delivery guaranteed in time for Christmas on orders placed by December 17, 2012. Expedited shipping options are available for additional charges. "Free Shipping and Handling" offer applies to FedEx Ground S&H charges only--all other shipment methods will be charged accordingly. "Free Shipping and Handling" does not apply to overweight surcharges or items that are required to be sent via priority shipping or air. Items shipped to AK, HI, Guam, VI and all other U.S. territories are not guaranteed to arrive in time for Christmas, will be delivered by Parcel Post and charged accordingly (Please view S&H table for holiday rates). For customers wishing to ship orders to APO/FPO addresses via Parcel Post, please call Customer Service Monday-Friday at 1-800-821-8838 between 9 am - 5 pm EST. Offer valid only in the United States & U.S. territories. We regret that we cannot ship to any foreign countries.
Just wanted to let yall know about this in case anyone was interested.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I was going to tell everyone, but you already did. Good! Ordered 5 because this is the best deal I have ever seen from them.
-Marsha
PS- Somebody really needs to stop me
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012   #3
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I love my Earth boxes!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I was going to tell everyone, but you already did. Good! Ordered 5 because this is the best deal I have ever seen from them.
-Marsha
PS- Somebody really needs to stop me
stop

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012   #5
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I love my Earth boxes!

Me too, and I ordered two more, he he.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012   #6
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I already have enough of them, but that's a good deal.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012   #7
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Ordered my first two to experiment with them - eager to see how they perform against bags.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2012   #8
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Ordered my first two to experiment with them - eager to see how they perform against bags.

Scott, I really like having the EB because I don't worry about not having enough water, especially on a hot day here on the TX coast. When you get your boxes go ahead and get them setup and put the dolomite lime into the mix, moisten just a small amount and cover until you are ready for spring planting. This will allow the dolomite lime to dissolve some into the mix which is very good for all seeded vegetables.

When you are ready to plant add another treatment of dolomite lime and continue that treatment each time you plant. Don't add ferts until you plant.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2012   #9
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Glad some of you were able to get some at this price. I wish I could but with going to school and not working funds have dried up like my dead seedlings....

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2012   #10
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

I have been gardening in Earthboxes for going on 8 years and have reached my space limit on EBs (40)...or I would have taken advantage of the offer! It was a great price, plus no shipping until after Christmas...

Scott,
Great advice from Rockporter. Be sure to follow the guidelines exactly...it is very different from in ground gardening, bags, and other container gardening. (cover, water reservior, fertilizer strip...all basic concepts of the design)
I have converted almost all my vegetables to boxes but do use bags and other containers for things like potatoes, beets, carrots and some of the smaller tomatos, peppers etc when all my boxes are full ..I don't think you will be disappointed...
Judi

Last edited by baileyj; December 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2012   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You re going to flat out LOVE them. I can't believe the way my tomatoes grow in them vs the ground. Everything they need always at the ready for them, impossible to overwater, and no invasive critters. Biggest challenge is trellising, because they are going to be HUGE.
-Marsha
Old December 16, 2012   #12
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Wow - this is great feedback. Can I put 2 tomatoes in each Earthbox, or just one?
Old December 16, 2012   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wow - this is great feedback. Can I put 2 tomatoes in each Earthbox, or just one?
Yes. you can put 2 in, and i do. They suggest it. The directions have a map of where to put whatever plants you are planting, and it shows you where to put the fertilizer so they don't burn the plants, and it shows you the proper spacing too. Make sure you use potting mix, not potting soil, and you have to add garden lime too to prevent BER, so since I have to mix the dolomite lime in, I throw in some extra perlite too, for the roots to have a little more aeration. The directions are very specific about the type of lime to use.
Here's a video on it, it's a little bit hokey:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y2QUifx2gg
They aren't idiot proof, but they are I would say "idiot resistant"
-Marsha
Old December 16, 2012   #14
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

That video is actually quite useful.
Old December 16, 2012   #15
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

You can visit the Earthbox Forum for lots of info about them either as a member or guest !

Once you have the concepts down, then experiment. I grow garlic, herbs, all types of vegetables...but not veggies that grow deep like long carrots. I have done beets with good success....I keep at least some of my boxes growing all year. Right now I have spinach, beets, broccoli and cabbage...some will overwinter and pick up again in the spring. I am late putting in my garlic, but will be putting it in Monday.

I have always planted 2 tomatos, but the past 2 years I have put a sungold in with a second tomato and the sungold took over. I am planing only 1 sungold this year in the box.
This year I am heading toward 1/2 either determinates or dwarfs so the trellis'do not have to be so high...
With the indeterminates....the trellis is 8-10 feet high and often they go over the top...

Good luck !!
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote