Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 16, 2012   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default soil drying out too fast! help!

I use a soil less mix; I get that w/container gardening (which is what I use) the soil will just dry out faster, it's one of the drawbacks to container gardening.

To reduce heat build up I use translucent colored containers when possible. I'm also trying to water earlier in the morning, because supposedly the soil will retain moisture longer this way; however that doesn't seem to be making any difference.

However I know it's not just because I do container gardening that the soil mix dries out fast. I know it's also partly because of the soil mix itself.

I don't want the plants to be waterlogged, but I don't want it to retain moisture so well, that I'm having to water incessantly, which is what I'm doing.

Somebody suggested replacing part of the mix w/compost. However it already calls for Osmocote. I'm guessing I'd reduce the Osmocote, but by how much (per batch).

Also how much of the pine bark mulch should I replace w/compost? Again per batch. One batch makes 30 gallons.

Here is the recipe....it's 5 gallons vermiculite, 5 gal. spaghnum peat, 1 2 cubic foot bag pine bark mulch, 2 c lime, 2 c Osmocote. Those are the measurements per batch, one batch makes about 30 gallons.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

The usual advice for that type recipe is to increase the peat moss as a way of retaining more water. Adding compost will alter the basic "soiless" component of the mix.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

What is the particle size of the "pine bark mulch" you are using? Ideally, the particles would be smaller than 1/4". Bigger particles = more drainage = less water retention. Also, this mix needs to be properly moistened in order for it to work. If it is completely dry it will be hydrophobic - meaning it will not retain moisture.

If these conditions are met, it should not be drying out too quickly - certainly not at this time of the year in the upper midwest.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012   #4
cedarswamp
Tomatovillian™

I used Al's 5-1-1 (bark fines-peat-perlite) mix for the first time this year, and contrary to what I believed would happen, it actually retains moisture longer than either straight promix BX or MG moisture control while providing superior drainage. I think the larger particle size may hinder evaporation, at least thats my novice theory.
cedarswamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012   #5
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

as fortyonenorth said- it is very important to make sure the mix is wet before you fill the containers.

how big are the plants right now?

try watering a little bit and waiting a couple minutes and watering again. repeat this process a few times over a half hour span and see if you can get the mix to absorb a little more water.

i am growing some tomatoes in 6 gallon plastic containers and its very easy to tell how wet my mix is. i just feel the weight of the pot. this is how i judge if my seedlings need water as well.
TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012   #6
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

I sometimes have to put something on the sunny side to shade the soil, (not the plants) since if it gets too hot it takes more water. Have you tried that?
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #7
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

I am growing in pots for the first time, using als 5-1-1 mix. On some I tried it minus the perlite, and so far so good, and they drain really well but still retain moisture, but never soggy. They seem dry, but if you wiggle a finger down into the mix several inches they are nice and damp. Even with the heat the last couple days they are good, watering every 3-4 days or so.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #8
casserole
Tomatovillian™

please show a pic of your bark,I am betting the size is over 1/4 inch
casserole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #9
stackhouse_kbtom
Tomatovillian™

put some rocks on top of your medium... river rock is good because it doesn't have salts... they also make pebbles for hydro u can use on top of your medium... rinse them off every year after your done growing... hydroton pebbles are what they are called... anyways this will help with evaporation... u can also plant with polymers in your medium.... drought farmers use them.. good luck
stackhouse_kbtom is offline   Reply With Quote