Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 27, 2012   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default how much soil for raised beds?

NOTE: Soil being used is soil mix, that I'll be making (this is NOT top soil, potting mix/soil, and/or soil less mix... e. g. Miracle Gro etc.)

I need to know how many gallons of soil per raised bed. Found how much soil to use w/sizes of raised beds I'll be using; unfortunately it's in cubic feet and/or square feet; this tells me nothing.

My raised beds will be 4' x 4' and 4' x 8' w/a 12" depth; don't know how many raised beds in total will be used. Just need to know how many gallons to use per individual beds w/sizes given.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

There is a post on this same page about 6 down that fills in all the replys to a similar question.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #3
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

if i did my math right i'm thinking 120 gal. small bed and 240 gal. in the large bed. I might be wrong
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Most of your soils come in cubic measurements.1 ft.divided by 12(inch)=.083.So width x length x height gives you the cubic foot.Divide by 27(3x3x3=1 cubic yard).4x4x1-16cubic foot and so on.
Old March 27, 2012   #5
janezee
Tomatovillian™

1 cu. ft.=7.48 gal.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

7.48 is for liquid,6.4 would be for dry.These would be in USA conversions not metrics as for Canada.
Old March 27, 2012   #7
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

6.428 dry gallons/cubic foot is correct.

The question then becomes, what kind of container is Aimeruni using to measure the soil? If it's designed to measure liquid gallons, you need to use the liquid gallon calculation of 7.48 US liquid gallons/cubic foot.

If dry gallons, 103 small bed, 206 large bed. If US liquid gallons, 120 small, 240 large.

I suppose if purchased soil listed in "gallons" is involved in the calculations, one might need to take some pains to find out which type of gallon is being used by the packager.

There's also the Imperial gallon used in the UK and sometimes Canada, and is a bit larger than the dry gallon! I doubt that's involved in this case, though.
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I know this aint gonna help but you will have 16 cubic feet(119.688 gallons) in the 4X4 beds and 32 cubic feet (239.376) gallons in the 4X8 beds.
1 cubic foot equals 7.4805 US gallons.
27 cubic feet in a yard.
A yard is 3'X3'X3'.
I buy all of my soil and aggregates by the yard.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #9
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

And just to complicate matters: even in a raised bed, I like to pile up the good stuff if I have it. So if I've harvested lots of compost, I add it to my beds.

I got a new garden plot and I'd like to transfer lots of compost as well as some of my plunge-your-arm-up-to-the-elbow soil to it. But I'll see how much hauling my back can stand. I'm hoping to add at least a cubic yard.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote