Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 5, 2012   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default adding compost to soil less mix?

I know it's not recommended to add compost to a soil less mix w/container gardening because addition of compost to soil less mix will make soil less mix too heavy.

Most plants love soil mix, but root veggies never form bulbs/roots. I use light colored containers to cool roots, the soil depth isn't too shallow (12"-18"), and water well w/out overwatering.

Realize adding raw compost (from animal....cow, chicken, etc.) will cause problems. However will be using commercial packaged compost.

My questions are.....

1.Soil less mix already calls for 2 c Osmocote per 30 gallon batch, it's a dry pelleted fertilizer.
If adding compost to soil less mix, should Osmocote be reduced; if so reduce to how much per 30 gallon batch?

2.The measurements for my soil less mix are as follows.......(measurements are per 30 gallon batch)

2-3 cu ft pine bark fines (pine bark mulch)
5 gallons peat
5 gallons perlite
2 cups dolomitic (garden) lime (or gypsum in some cases)
2 cups CRF (if preferred)
1/2 cup micronutrient powder (or other source of the minors)

Should I just reduce the amount of peat and replace whatever amount of peat I subtract with an equivalent amount of compost (that is if I reduce the peat from 5 gallons per 30 gallon batch to 3 gallons per 30 gallon batch, would I just replace w/2 gallons of compost?)

OR should I leave the soil mix as is, and add compost directly to it when I make up the batch? If so how much compost should I add (in gallons) per 30 gallon batch?

Last edited by aimeruni; April 5, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #2
casserole
Tomatovillian™

Just do whatever you want. Keep us posted
casserole is offline   Reply With Quote