Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 15, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Odd Plant Question

I know this thread may be answered with one word, but does this Sweet Million tomato plant have a chance to grow and produce?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0050.JPG (52.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0051.JPG (48.1 KB, 142 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I know this thread may be answered with one word, but does this Sweet Million tomato plant have a chance to grow and produce?
I have no idea but I dont like the idea of me having to look at pictures of chocolate.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have no idea but I dont like the idea of me having to look at pictures of chocolate.

Worth
For real. Forget the plant. How about sharing the chocolate. Don't let Carolyn see you have a box of chocolates and her not having any.

If what I am seeing is where the stem leaves are kinda fused. Nope it will not live , nor produce. I had a bunch of think it was beefsteaks that did that last year and it was all new commercial seed.

I even tried to see if I could separate the stem carefully. Waste of time and effort. I would toss to compost pile and concentrate on healthy looking plants.

Do you have more plants or seeds of it?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sorry about that Worth.

There's another Sweet Million just like it but smaller.

What's bad is it's not my chocolate either.
Old February 15, 2016   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Of course I saw the box of chocolates, but not to worry since I have a stash of my own eating chocolate from both King Arthur Flour and my fave candy place called Krauses on Central Ave in Albany.

About your plant.

i have seen such plants form a green knob in the center and then send out side shoots that do allow for those shoots to form stems and leaves and blossoms and fruits.

But that's very rare and only if it's a variety where I'm the only one who has seeds for it and I think the variety has promise will I give it a chance, and that isn't very often either.

Carolyn
Old February 15, 2016   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Carolyn and Starlight, I had a feeling it wasn't a good sign. I do have one Sweet Million plant that looks good.
Old February 15, 2016   #7
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

I grew Sweet Million the year it was released, if I had time to scan the old photos I would show you how it got it's name. Over 10 feet tall, and well over a million maters on it!
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I have heard it is a good eating tomato too. I looked to see if I happened to have any seeds of it, but I have sweet everything, but Sweet Million. I hope your other plant does well, though from Hellman's description it looks like all you need is one plant.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Of course I saw the box of chocolates, but not to worry since I have a stash of my own eating chocolate from both King Arthur Flour and my fave candy place called Krauses on Central Ave in Albany.

About your plant.

i have seen such plants form a green knob in the center and then send out side shoots that do allow for those shoots to form stems and leaves and blossoms and fruits.

But that's very rare and only if it's a variety where I'm the only one who has seeds for it and I think the variety has promise will I give it a chance, and that isn't very often either.

Carolyn
I think I may have one. This is an Ace 55 plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0057.JPG (54.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0058.JPG (62.1 KB, 55 views)
Old February 23, 2016   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That one should live and do fine.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote