Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 29, 2009   #16
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I am not an okra eater but hubby is. I am growing clemson spineless from seed and have it in the flower garden in the front of my house. I was out this am and saw 2 small plants of burgandy okra and couldn't pass it up. I am going to plant them out in the am. Have never even seen that one grown. I plan on freezing like fried okra in portions for husband as well as pickling (If I can keep them alive that long). I think the unique color mixed with green will look great in the jar pickled.
Robin what type did you have?
Kat

Last edited by newatthiskat; April 29, 2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2009   #17
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

ok so much for having a burgandy colored pickled okra. found out it turns a grayish green when pickled. Supposed to turns green when cooked. It sure looks like it will be pretty when fresh and apparently it is spineless.
Kat
Old April 30, 2009   #18
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Lace View Post
Robin,

Were they big plants or small ones? Too many Okra pods? I'm guessing they were very productive.

~* Robin
Hi Robin, they are very productive plants. I put it this way in the evening they put out very nice big yellow flowers and the next day in the morning they were almost a inch long and by noon they are already to pick and by the afternoon by 5PM they were to big to pick. I had two plants that towered to 11' plus. Never have I seen a plant put out so much in so little time. You can't miss one day with these guys.
It is a southern thing and a lot of people don't really know how to cook them. I'll learn ya.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2009   #19
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

I guess I'm in for a world of trouble, Robin. I have 12 Fife Creek Okra plants growing out there right now!

Luckily my Mom, daughter, grandson and I love okra!

Gumbo any way, breaded fried whole, breaded sliced and fried, in vegetable mixes, any way we can get 'em. I'll have to freeze and can some then.

I'm told you can whack 'em down during the hot, hot times and let them come back later in the year (fall) months here in Texas...... Now I'll have to find my extended pruning loppers.... LOL! Standing at 5'5" isn't going to help.

I'll need more okra recipes too.

~* Robin
Old April 30, 2009   #20
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I love okra as well. my plants have reached the 10 ft range or better the past couple years.I was having to use a step ladder to harvest. Late start this year may prevent that this year but hopefully I will still get a good harvest
Old May 1, 2009   #21
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

What variety do you grow duajones? curious since I have never grown before!
Kat
Old May 1, 2009   #22
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Clemson Spineless, Emerald and Louisianna Green Velvet. Taste wise I prefer the LGV but this year I am growing the CS again since I already have seeds. In 2007, my CS plants were over 10ft tall and I was using a step ladder to harvest.

Old May 2, 2009   #23
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

OH MY GOSH!!!! I never knew they got that big. The package said 4-5 feet it think. As I am 5'2 I thought I would be fine picking. I don't think I have even seen a mature okra plant until that picture. It looks like a tree.
I planted those in my front flower bed
Kat
Old May 2, 2009   #24
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Well they do have very pretty flowers. Maybe they'll be right at home in your flower bed, despite the height. Mine have grown to about ten feet tall, too.
Old May 2, 2009   #25
imp
Tomatovillian™

Okra can be varied in how tall or bushy they get, so you can find one that you can pick without ladders if you want to, ~smile~.

We planted last year's out in the devil's strip ( that strip of ground between the street and the sidewalk) and it got about 5 to 6 foot tall and fairly bushy- lovely blooms that everyone asked about. Nice harvests of Okra, too, since it loved all that heat.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009   #26
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Clemson Spineless and LGV are advertised as 4-6 ft, both were close to double that in my garden for whatever reason
Old May 2, 2009   #27
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, the height can vary with variety. Cajun Delight is a bush type and doesn't get over 5 ft. tall. Evertender and Louisiana Green Velvet (for me) get to 10+ ft. Burgundy got to about 8 ft for me last summer.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009   #28
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Sowed seeds in 4inch pots on Wednesday and found some peeking already this afternoon. They have always taken around a week or more to germinate in the past. I guess the heat helped speed things up
Old May 9, 2009   #29
organichris
Tomatovillian™

This is the first year I noticed that my local nursery was selling okra plants. I wanted to grow some this year, but kind of got carried away with tomatoes and there wasn't much room left. I ended up buying just two plants - a Clemson Spineless and some Cajun variety. I know that probably won't amount to much, but at least I'll have a few. They were about a foot tall when I planted them a week ago. I haven't had the opportunity to check on them since. My garden spot is a drive from here, and its been raining every other day.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009   #30
Amigatec
Tomatovillian™

If you thin the plants to about 4 feet apart they will get bushy and not so tall.
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote